Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Add support for Apple Silicon (ARM64 on Mac)

Feature request:

Add support for Apple Silicon in a future Spotify release on Mac OS.

Apple have recently released a new generation of Macs based on their own Apple Silicon. I hope that Spotify will prioritize native support for this new CPU architecture.  If so the best music platform on the Mac, will continue running great natively on the new generation Mac hardware.

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for bringing your feedback to the Community Idea Exchange and participating in this Beta test!

Your input has been invaluable and helped us tweak the app to make full use of the new CPU architecture.

We're happy to announce that the app is now out of Beta and can be downloaded from our website. You should automatically get the correct version for your Mac's CPU and all updates will be automatic as well, just the way it was in the past.

This idea is now officially implemented! Thanks once more for all your votes and posts.

Happy listening! 🎶

Comments
CeramicCash

Still nothing. What a joke 

Mario
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Updated on 2021-07-01

Hi everyone,

We have been working hard backstage on this and are happy to announce that we now have a Beta version of our app available. It features many compatibility improvements and optimizations for the new Apple architecture.

You can download this Beta app from here. It would be great if you do so and then post feedback on your experience here. 

Please note that as a Beta, some unexpected behavior might still occur. We'll use all the feedback and info we get from you to tweak and improve your Spotify experience. And if everything works great we’d love to hear that too!

To install the Beta app, double click the .dmg file and then drag the app to your Applications folder, replacing the version you may have installed now. To go back to the regular version, please download and install it from https://spotify.com/download.

We can’t wait to hear from you and learn how your experience was. Take care!

bmcd243

Woah @Mario, that was unexpected - thank you!!!!

kandebobr

In the list of programs, the application is designated as iOS instead of Universal, why is that?

I will test further.

kandebobr

When I start music on a macbook, the player is also shown on my iPhone, and therefore on the Apple Watch I see the running application.

I don't know yet how this will affect the phone's battery.

dionvl

I've downloaded the beta app and everything seems to work just fine so far, thanks for providing this update.

@kandebobr; the app is M1 only, not universal.

Schermafbeelding 2021-07-01 om 19.42.05.png

lildre1

I took it for a short ride and it looks fine. Will test further.

songs crash after sleep/wake 

v1.1.63.488.g27383f12-a

timboozle

So where's the Big Sur style icon then?

deboardbrandon

1.1.63.488.g27383f12-a, working great so far!

The only issue I've seen is after waking up from sleep. None of the songs in the playlist I had up will play, however, switching playlists restores audio playback.