Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Support Notifications on Mac

I would appreciate it if Spotify on macOS could support desktop notifications (current song etc.) via Apple's Notification Center.

This is  basic functionality that's provided by almost every other Mac app I can think of. Spotify has offered it in the past, and indeed there's still a zombie preference setting ("Show dekstop notifications when the song changes"). I'm irritated at not having something as simple as notifications, and I feel insulted by a preference setting that doesn't work.

I'm proposing this here because it seems to have been last raised as an Idea in 2012 and set to Not Right Now status in 2019. That was a long time ago. This Idea is therefore a follow-up to this more recent discussion on the subject. Mod MafeG invited us to raise the issue on the Idea Exchange, so that's what I've done.

Updated on 2021-12-21

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
vthommeret

If you're looking for a solution in the meantime I've created a Mac app, Notify for Spotify, that will display a notification when Spotify plays a new track. It's a 5-star app and also adds functionality like the ability to skip songs from the notification and offers an optional menu bar item to control Spotify as well.

https://notifyspotify.app

Scalpa

I'd love to see that on the mobile app as well (iOS for me). One application is that other devices (e.g. wearables, cycling computers, etc.) will show notifications. Thus, there is no need for a specific Spotify development.

Adriananas9

PLS give us a status update! I'm dying for this.

themdonuts

Is there any update on this? It's been nearly a year since this feature was re-requested. I would understand a delay if this feature never existed previously, but since it used to be a thing, it seems like it would be an easy add.

Why do you **bleep** at Spotify hesitate to bring back notifications to desktop? Seriously, this is a needed feature.

EDIT: And by the way, my OS is Windows 10.

breakhoven

Please implement this feature. 

tlav

Maybe Spotify should invest in adding features rather than removing them.

Especially one that is not so hard to maintain. Documentation on notifications is pretty clear on Apple dev documentation.

breakhoven

Please add this feature back.

amarsten

Just gonna add that it's hilarious that y'all still haven't implemented this.

m_listed

I hate having to beg devs to prioritize essential features for years without any sort of reply. What's the point of this "live ideas" thing if you don't actually do anything?