Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Support Notifications on Mac

I would appreciate it if Spotify on macOS could support desktop notifications (current song etc.) via Apple's Notification Center.

This is  basic functionality that's provided by almost every other Mac app I can think of. Spotify has offered it in the past, and indeed there's still a zombie preference setting ("Show dekstop notifications when the song changes"). I'm irritated at not having something as simple as notifications, and I feel insulted by a preference setting that doesn't work.

I'm proposing this here because it seems to have been last raised as an Idea in 2012 and set to Not Right Now status in 2019. That was a long time ago. This Idea is therefore a follow-up to this more recent discussion on the subject. Mod MafeG invited us to raise the issue on the Idea Exchange, so that's what I've done.

Updated on 2021-12-21

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Novy
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-09-28

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-10-29

Hey! Looks like that your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues to be supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your idea. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Why only on Mac? Even Windows users have this problem.

Deichscheich

I just migrated from Linux to MacOS and was pretty irritated by the fact this didn't work out of the box. But I was sure I had misconfigured something. Turns out this does not exist! It boggles the mind!

karinees

Please bring this basic but very important feature back. It's strange that it was even removed in the first place. Why?

nazgulprincess

idk why it won't let me like this idea, but i'm a paying user and i'm liking it thru this comment !!

yarvolk

Hello, so after a few month I came back to Spotify to check if major issues that I was concerned about were fixed. You guys added lyrics which was my main concern. Good! But this Mac notification feature was still not added. I am on Deezer now and it works perfectly there. It means it can work here too. Just need to fix/add it. Please.

PurpleFan

until Spotify build something i suggest to use on Mac great app - 5$ one time paying -- Sleeve  

Novy
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-12-21

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

musical1ly

Even windows or non-apple notifications, it seems pretty easy to do a 'now playing' pop up notification in the corner like Apple Music does , its such a useful feature for desktop users and seems mad that you got rid of it. I think the old notification even had a function where if you hovered the mouse over it a bigger menu would appear where you could pause, skip or go back a song? That would also be great to bring back