Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Find public Playlists that contain Song/Artist

My theory (not rocket science):

If someone else's playlist includes a song or artists that I like, there is a good change that I will enjoy the rest of their playlist. 

Currently, you can only search for public playlists via playlist name.  Considering that most people do not name their playlists to accurately reflect the type of music it contains, I believe that the current search functionality is quite limited. 

Spotify should have functionality to search for public playlists that contain a song/artist.  I think would be immensly helpful for music discovery.  

Best of luck, 

Ryan

P.S. - Down the line, it would be interesting to see "similarity scores" between two playlists.  Could be quite interesting for finding new music.  

Updated on 2019-10-31

Hey folks.

Thanks again for all your votes and comments.
We're still keeping an eye on this idea, but at this time we don't have an update.

Comments
Jermaine

Thanks Stomper90 for the recommendations.

I just spent that last half day with Rdio and I must say ... "IT KNOWS!" it knows exactly what a similar album is suppose to sound like, it knows what similar songs are suppose to sound like. It just knows everything, and it doesn't even only tell me who has the same song in a particular playlist, it also tells me the history of who listened to that song and playlist.

Im still using spotify to just play songs as I don't yet have a membership with Rdio, but unfortunately ... I don't really see any reason to continue using Spotify without this feature. Every Song i've found on Rdio is on Spotify and I don't think there would be much of a difference vise versa. 

"it's simply just better". It may not have any of the flares of Spotify, but i'm actually discovering music. I've been doing that sucessfully for over 10 years on Last.Fm and only 1 on Spotify since the LFM & Spotify collab, but I'm seriously considering going ahead and continuing my musical journey with Rdio & Last.FM, seems like the perfect marriage to me. At least until Spotify changes, or Rdio dissolves.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

dmilanp

Come on Spotify,

Stop wasting our lives and implement it

😄

AndyWebist

Can't believe this is not implemented. Talk about missing the killer music discovery feature.

Has anyone looked into whether the API supports searching playlists. Could look at doing a small web app for this.

mlybrand

You theoretically could do it with the API, but not realistically.  The object that represents the playlist has a member "tracks" that is an API call to get the list of tracks for a given playlist.  So if you were search by song, say, you would need to get ALL playlists (unrealistic) and then for each playlist make a request for each group of tracks before being able to search for the track.  What they need is a collection that shows for a given track which public playlists it belongs to.  Then you would do a simple track search and easily return the list of playlists....  Until something like that is in their database, this will remain a difficult feature to provide.

knatartat

I'm quite surprised that this function isn't already here and also that this post has just a few Kudos. This would actually make discovering new music much more fun. And even technically, I don't think it would be a problem to implement it. The actual Discover function isn't really working for me. 

Hope this post gets some attention soon.

jlukins

Rhapsody has had this functionality for years.  That is one of many reasons I pay for Rhapsody's service and not Spotify. 

LiftedHouse

We need this and quick please!

nodenet

Extremely useful to small labels like mine to help promote our artists to suitable playlists.

onalarm

Other streaming services have this feature and I am having a hard time understanding why Spotify can't do this. I am new to Spotify (I live in Canada) and I have been using Rdio so far. I do like Spotify but I ultimately will be with the service that offers this 'search playlists by title' feature.