Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
colvinwalker

This feature is for sure a deal breaker. I'll be using Apple Music on my Android phone even though I prefer Spotify, at least until Spotify gets it together on this.

serenabow

why is this option now grayed out? it is a great idea! we love our son to explore music and he is an avid listener but at 5 there is a lot of sh** he just doesn't need to hear.  😉

Chicagobob

This option would be extremely help especially given there is a Family account setup. Netflix has a Kids account set up for this very reason.   My Daughter has her own account and yes she has her own playlist with age appropriate music. But she will hear an edited song on the radio, then pull it up through spotify search. The next thing we know she's singing about going to a **bleep** club an getting high...the lyrics to "Habits" 

Is there some way to specify a child account with only radio edits, and age appropriate filters through the Premium Family plan?

Chicagobob

Haha okay. Seriously there needs to be an option if my kid is hearing lyrics that are auto censored on this message board. 

jacobsato
This forum has moved from complaining about an explicit button to inform
people to stop complaining to Spotify. Spotify has decided to not agree with
you. You are encouraged to uninstall Spotify. Many, many listeners have
found greater music selection, flexibility and ability to not have to listen
to offensive music with services like Google Play, Pandora, etc. These
services are less expensive and provide better service.

jacobsato
people to stop wasting your time complaining to Spotify. Spotify has decided
to not agree with you. You are encouraged to uninstall Spotify. Many, many
listeners have found greater music selection, flexibility and ability to not
have to listen to offensive music with services like Google Play, Pandora,
etc. These services are less expensive and provide better service.

jacobsato
This forum has moved from complaining about an explicit button to inform people to stop wasting your time complaining to Spotify. Spotify has decided to not agree with you. You are encouraged to uninstall Spotify. Many, many listeners have found greater music selection, flexibility and ability to not have to listen to offensive music with services like Google Play, Pandora, etc. These services are less expensive and provide better service.

jacobsato
people to stop wasting your time complaining to Spotify. Spotify has decided
to not agree with you. You are encouraged to uninstall Spotify. Many, many
listeners have found greater music selection, flexibility and ability to not
have to listen to offensive music with services like Google Play, Pandora,
etc. These services are less expensive and provide better service.

dano3

**bleep**. Is this still not available on Spotify?

Rooster7Zero

This will be my last comment on this forum. I have been trialling Google Play Music and the whole package WITH the option to block explicit lyrics is vastly better than Spotify.

I, like numerous before me and as per my own earlier warning, will be cancelling my subscription and taking my money (family premium subscription) to Google.

When you fail Spotify for not listening to your customers don't come crying to me. I'll ignore you in return.