Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Notification of freshly added Tracks

As I just had to find out from Spotify support, they removed playlist notifications from Spotify.

"
The notifications are being disabled and soon they will disappear for all users. You can still get notifications via e-mail though. You can set that up here

If you'd like the notifications back, feel free to post on the Spotify Community.
At the moment new songs added to playlists you follow will no longer be denoted.

We've made the change as of December. It's not a technical issue, we'd mainly like to avoid "spamming" our users.
"

As of last year also the blue dot indicator (next to the playlists) was removed, there is now way anymore to tell if new songs got added to a playlist - besides email notifications.
But I don’t want email notifications. I want these notifications within the app itself.
At least make it configurable which notifications you want to see when clicking on the notification button.

What's the next thing they're going to remove?
Messages?

Who also wants playlist notifications back?
Leave some

Spotify_no_notifications_3.PNG

Updated on 2022-06-08

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We see this still seems to be talked about on the Community, so we're reopening votes for the idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
fishko17

Just bring back the notification bell on desktop!

People follow artists because they want to have updates constantly!

And I don't want a email notification. It's totally NOT a substitute to the notification bell. The bell works fine enough and it's IN-APP! Why do I need to log-in to my email in order to press the link guiding me back into Spotify.

RobertLoblaw

@fishko17 wrote:

Just bring back the notification bell on desktop!

People follow artists because they want to have updates constantly!

And I don't want a email notification. It's totally NOT a substitute to the notification bell. The bell works fine enough and it's IN-APP! Why do I need to log-in to my email in order to press the link guiding me back into Spotify.

Could not have put it better.

bjc999

It's been a few years since I posted on here, or emailed or tweeted Spotify begging and pleading on behalf of music lovers everywhere to restore playlist notifications or green dots (remember those?!), so I thought I'd try again. Look, it was always Spotify's greatest feature. It was addicting in fact. I would spend hours upon hours scouring Spotify and my hundreds of playlists. And I loved every second. And I'm 100% sure every music lover out there doing the same thing did too. Since the removal of notifications it has become impossible to keep track of subscribed playlists. Spotify force there playlists down our throats, and quite frankly, they are rubbish, unintuitive and repetitive. There are thousands of music fans that are infinitely more qualified to produce playlists and they now get absolutely no exposure and their fans have no idea when they have added new tracks. I for one, discovered so much new music back when notifications, and even more so when the green dots were a feature. The green dot system was genius. Some of my favourite bands I found this way. And most of them I saw live, bought tickets, etc, which allowed them to get paid and grow. Which is what it's all about. I have been listening to the same old tracks for years now. Trawling through the playlists is hard work and the Desktop version always crashes. The Spotify playlists are always so wrong. Email updates are insultingly bad. Please, please, please Spotify. Restore playlist notifications. Why did you remove them in the first place? You never gave me an answer to that question. It was simply the best feature. It is what made Spotify a music lovers' wet dream. You will continue to lose customers to Apple and YouTube Premium without this simple feature. And with it, you will reign supreme. Bring back playlist notifications. Please.

RobertLoblaw

@bjc999 wrote:

It's been a few years since I posted on here, or emailed or tweeted Spotify begging and pleading on behalf of music lovers everywhere to restore playlist notifications or green dots (remember those?!), so I thought I'd try again. 

100% agree. Probably a waste of time complaining though since Spotify aren't concerned with the views of music fans any more (if they ever were). I've said it before but I'm at a loss to understand Spotify's strategy here. What advantage is there to remove features that users like and encourage them to listen more? I only seem to get emails about my release radar playlist which I follow and listen to every week.

Personally, I'm unlikely to leave Spotify for Apple (don't like the lock-in) but I really should check out some of the other options. It's not as if there are any network effects to keep me on Spotify since we can't interact with friends on the platform and other social elements have gradually been removed. 

Marzuqah

Please bring that feature back!!!! It was really really helpful 😔

alex402

When a playlist that you have liked has been updated (new songs have been added) Spotify will alert you in the “What’s New” or put it on the homepage when you get alerted for a new album/song. 

lalaboz

I would love notifications for shared playlists so that I can see when other people in the playlist add something and I can listen right away!

1upkd

I have created collaborative playlists with several friends, the usual scenario being I share a playlist with a friend, and then we both keep adding songs to it over time. 

However, I do not get to know when my friend has added a new song until I open the playlist and check it. It would be nice to get a notification when my friend adds a new song to the playlist. Seeing something like "Bob added a new song to {{playlist_name}}: {{song_name}}" or "Alice added 4 songs to {{playlist_name}}" as soon as I open the app and click the bell icon would be nice

More background: Before shared playlists were a thing, we used to share music via WhatsApp. With shared playlists, it is much easier to add a song to a shared playlist (I do not need to exit the app). However, I often have to alert my friend separately via WhatsApp that I have added a song to the shared playlist, which makes the shared playlists feature incomplete. With a notification, this complete experience would be on Spotify without the need for other apps.

Kiril
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2022-06-08

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We see this still seems to be talked about on the Community, so we're reopening votes for the idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

ZenaL

What if instead of notifications, there was a feed where we could see when people we follow created a playlist or added songs to one of their playlists. People could also recommend songs to their followers in this feed.

I feel like following people is currently pointless, because I can't see what they're up to unless I'm looking at the friend activity on desktop. 

I want to see less Spotify-created playlists on my Home page, and more playlists by my friends.