Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Solution to false/abusive reporting

Whenever someone reports a playlist - the title and cover art are removed immediately. This is often abused to hurt record labels and playlist curators. After contacting support - the account of someone who abused this system gets taken down. This person then creates another email and free Spotify account and repeats the process. 

There is a simple solution to the problem - enable reporting feature only after 10 hours of music/podcasts were streamed using the account. It won't change the experience for a normal user but makes copyright abuse impractical. It's cheap and easy to implement and would stop 95% of false claims.

Thank you for your consideration. 

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Top50Clean

For anyone who has gmail, here's an Apps Script you can use to generate a JSON report of all the takedown notification emails you've received. It will save it to your Drive as SpotifyTakedownReport.jsonhttps://gist.github.com/tbtstw/f1f2f060e21fc88bbe77f6177b9b750e

deadman79

I got my study playlist taken down another 3 times since yesterday, I have done nothing wrong with it, it has never had a description, and I've also had a playlist taken down, which talked about how people are suppressing my views and opinions. No swear words, no inappropriate words, none of it. I got my playlist back and if anybody wants the link to it, here it is.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2iVfP8bSFNwGEYenhsdyo2?si=26bf5c26a95f40a1

DoomNation

My favorite playlist was reported and disabled again. This time I emailed both support addresses and corporate. I also CCd Daniel Himself. Something needs to be done! This is not fair!!!

DoomNation

This idea was posted almost three years ago. It's not an idea as much as correcting some serious wrongdoing. Not only is this unethical and unjust, but it is also stealing from honest curators and artists since this, for artists is a source of income. It takes away time from productivity and creativity because of all the distress and time wasted in complaining to support and rebuilding playlists that have been taken down without justification.  Since the material is already on Spotify, you cannot do much to violate terms by building a playlist. I have already contacted Corporate, Global Support which include **bleep**, Daniel Elks, the Legal Department, Conduct Reporting, if need be I will contact as many news publications as I can find to have them investigate and report this as well. Most of us artists depend on organically growing our own playlists because we can't depend on getting on Editorial Playlists to reach a wider listener base. This is all we got. For those people involved in this despicable act, you don't need to do this to build up your playlist. Make a playlist with a consistent theme, one song per artist, post on Reddit and stay consistent with the rules of the group owners and you WILL obtain followers. Will me, it happens every time WITHOUT fail. Except recently when I started falling victim to this reporting spree which essentially is fraud. Mostly I fault Spotify because they know exactly what's going on and willfully allow it to happen. 

cjvannette

Here's a crazy idea: How about Spotify simply reviews reports to confirm they violate policy? They know this feature is being abused. Stop automatically punishing everyone who's reported.

Bobby-B

I don't think one vote a playlist curator should be counted as one vote. It's our **bleep** hearts and souls we're putting in those lists you better add an extra zero or two to this.

Bobby-B

I got an idea. Let's spam the bastards. #TakedownSpotify

Bobby-B

First tweet is out with a link to this thread. Let's see if we can get some eyeballs! #TakedownSpotify

JessicaSherrell
My playlist titles keep getting deleted. The photos I use for their covers (some are my photos that I own) and my profile photo (my photo) keeps getting deleted and I get a takedown notice email every time. I’ve looked at the terms of service and I can’t figure out what’s happening. It’s extremely annoying.
coolpanama
I'd say, move along here, our playlists are DEAD with spotify.

I'm going to make my playlists elsewhere, and NOT anymore with spotify.

That's what we all should do, don't PAY any more for their """"service""""

Let spotify bleed dry ...

I hate them