Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Solution to false/abusive reporting

Whenever someone reports a playlist - the title and cover art are removed immediately. This is often abused to hurt record labels and playlist curators. After contacting support - the account of someone who abused this system gets taken down. This person then creates another email and free Spotify account and repeats the process. 

There is a simple solution to the problem - enable reporting feature only after 10 hours of music/podcasts were streamed using the account. It won't change the experience for a normal user but makes copyright abuse impractical. It's cheap and easy to implement and would stop 95% of false claims.

Thank you for your consideration. 

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
autumntillman

oh and yes, i’ll be adding a variation to have it check for an email before updating (: that should be complete this afternoon as well. 

peterpeterpete

That all sounds very good. Thank you very much for your efforts!

Unfortunately, a problem is currently preventing me from using the script for longer. After some time of successfully updating the playlist (sometimes after about an hour or more), this error message appears and the execution of the script stops.ErrorError

autumntillman

@peterpeterpete that looks like a timeout- it happens when the internet connection lags out during the request before it. you can reduce the risk of that happening by extending the time between updates (personally i only get timeouts at my house if i do every minute or 2 minutes. sometimes the first request lags out and it’ll crash after 6-12 hours). i’ve had mine set to 5 minutes for the past 8 days and it’s actually ran consistently (i was surprised it didn’t crash), but that’s not always practical depending on your internet connection. 

you can also mitigate the likelihood of that happening by plugging the device in via ethernet if it isn’t already. feel free to message me directly or email for more detailed help (: 

Rrich5000

Someone reports one of my playlists every day. It is not offensive or inappropriate at all. But every day someone reports it and you remove the name. I am doing nothing wrong. The person making false reports every day IS doing something wrong. You need to fix this. People who make repeated bogus reports should be blocked from reporting. 

aarongrubb
  1. Add me to the list of artists affected by this trash Spotify policy. When lockdown hit, I was making $0, but the very next year, I was making enough to pay lots of my bills. I'm still not making anywhere near enough to call a living, but when the playlist I get the most streams from gets reported, I can lose $200 a month. That's no joke when you're depending on that income 
furlan_tv

@aarongrubb not a great idea to tell spotify that u’re making money of something that is strictly illegal to do. idk if u should keep this comment here…

aarongrubb

@furlan_tv I'm not doing anything illegal. I'm making money from the streams of my music being played on legitimate playlists. I'm losing money because people are harassing the playlist curators with automated false reporting 

autumntillman

Hey Aaron- I’m actually one of the large playlist owners that feature you/other video game lofi artists on my playlist. Most of the bots around the Video Game Lofi sphere have been easily crashable by updating the playlist quicker than the bot can keep up with. I got them to finally stop reporting mine after it was being taken down every 5 minutes.

You may want to share this with any of the playlist curators you work with. it seems to be the same bot that affected me and my playlist curator friend Daniel as well.

furlan_tv

@aarongrubb oooh that’s one me, i thought u were talking about making money off playlisting 😅

aarongrubb

@furlan_tv haha. No sweat