Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Privacy] Private Session should stay active

Let's face it. We've all used Spotify to listen to music that we would be embarassed to advertise publically.

Whether it's kittens meowing Christmas songs, that your friends would never let you live down, or a hardcore rap album, that you wouldn't want your 8 year old cousin to go and listen to because his cool aunt or uncle likes it.

When it comes to this social music app, privacy is not a convenient bonus feature, it's a critical necessity.

Currently, the only way to listen to songs privately on Spotify, is to go to the settings and activate a private session. This is not only annoying, since I constantly have to navigate through settings to activate privacy on my phone, it's stressful because you have to worry about whether or not certain people can see what you're listening too. My primary music app should not cause anxiety about what I share publically.

From a 2011 blog post "Spotify is all about sharing and discovering new music. It’s entirely up to you what you decide to share and what you keep private."

With the first part in mind, it makes sense that spotify would default to making all of the music you listen to public to your followers but the second part is not true. Anyone can follow me on Spotify and if I have to continuously activate a private session, there will inevitably be times when I forget. As a paying customer, I should have the ability to hide what I listen to if I please and activate privacy indefinitely.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
DJKrisR

This is ridiculous, a must have easy feature for now.

I don't wanna share what I'm listening to anyone.

Everyday I need to go there and start a private session.

is it so difficult to remember this preference ?

Steve-NL

I really miss this feature. This makes me think of alternatives, like the oldschool, downloading all te songs i like to my phone.

eblairs

How many people have to ask for better, logical Private Session control before you do something about it? Does anyone at Spotify actually know the definition of the word 'private'?

Well, apparently it doesn't matter, because when enough people ask for it you say "meh, no." and move on. 

If this doesn't get fixed in the next month, in one form or another, I'm cancelling my subscription. 

Steve-NL
I agree, so stupid I cant turn on private for ever.

Check out this link, good alternatives

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_on-demand_music_streaming_services

Comparison of on-demand music streaming services - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org
The following is a list of on-demand music streaming services. The services offer streaming of full-length content via the Internet as a part of their service ...

geg363

This unwanted behavior is wrecking my iPhone battery. Please do something to appease the many people who don't want this feature.

lostmyreligion

Hey Spotify, how many votes do we need for this to happen? It's totally insane that there's no privacy for a personal library. Ready to switch to another app if this isn't fixed soon (and I know I'm not alone).

drloveldlufjgvh

Please do this ASAP. It's kinda crazy that you (Spotify) think that all your users want to share what and when they are listening to music. Really love Spotify but this is such a **bleep** up. It's the only reason I use other services for listening to music. 

d7b
But only that i feel a double statndard here from a bunch of folk who give
artists next to nothing and then in turn screw their customers as
well..just implement it!
jbarrer92

Bottom line, as a paying customer, this should be an available option. 

Spotify, we know you still will have all of our valuable listening data, and honestly, we don't care. What we do care about is the fact that you won't allow us to turn this feature completely off for those who don't want to click a button every time we use your app for basic privacy 101. 

Are there any options you'd be willing to consider? Let me provide some ideas.

- I understand you probably don't want to turn this setting on the full app available for all to see, so how about there being an off-app opt-in to have a special request put on our individual accounts to have this feature turned on? (eg, we provide our account names to you and make a special beta run of this feature)

- hide this in advanced settings. Make it difficult to find this setting. We don't care, just have this option somehow possible for those who care enough to get it.

- only allowed for premium accounts

Again, we understand why you are doing this, but there HAS to be a workaround for those of us who are paying and really want this option. 

Can you do a beta workaround for the current 284 votes on this privacy issue? I'm sure we will all gladly partake in a test run for you.

Cheers.

eflanel

That Spotify makes it the default that everyone can see what you're listening to - and changing that setting only lasts 6 hours - is SUPER CREEPY.