Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Radio] Bring back Playlist Radio context menu option for everything

Official response from Spotify as of 4 Feb 2019:

"

Apologies, but the playlist radio context menu has been removed with our current update.

Paul
Spotify Customer Support

"

So there you have it.

-----

Please vote on the right -->

This is an intentional change by Spotify, so we need to make it heard that we want this feature back. Read on below.

-----

Let spotify know you want this feature back: go to https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/ > Other > I still need help and write to them

-----

This is a request that Spotify undo their change over the last two weeks to remove the context-menu Playlist radio option from all their platforms.

It is NOT sufficient to link to "Where is Radio?" https://support.spotify.com/using_spotify/system_settings/why-am-i-seeing-different-features-than-my... - this is not a communications issue, or a learning curve issue.

We are asking very precisely that Spotify undo this change. Return the "Playlist radio" contextual option in all platforms. We further ask that it return for all objects, i.e all playlists (created by the user or other users), albums, artists etc. Basically: make it like it used to be.

The most obvious example is that the create radio playlist option is missing from the right-click context menu on Macos and Windows. But all platforms now make it more difficult to create radio playlists.

It disappeared for me on my Mac last week, Windows PC on Monday and Android yesterday.

Once you get the update, to create a radio station you now need to go to Radio > Create Radio Station, this will then open a sidebar which you can type the name of your playlist into using your keyboard which will then give you the option to create a radio station. So the feature is effectively buried.

I contacted support and they said:

At Spotify, we’re often testing and launching improvements and new features. When we’re testing, you may see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a new feature for only a temporary period. Let us know what you think over at our Community.

Seems like they are following an industry trend of removing features from their service to "reduce complexity". Looks like design bunker thinking to me.

I hope the option returns.

If it doesn't return, vote with your wallet. Youtube Music has playlist radio on everything and 1 month free trial: https://www.youtube.com/premium

Updated on 2019-03-20

Hey folks, 

The Radio feature should appear on the context menu of most albums, tracks and playlists. To access the menu, just right click on desktop or click the three dots on mobile. There you'll see the option to select 'Go to Song/Album/Playlist Radio'. 

As a heads up, there's been some recent changes to the way Radio works. You can check out the details of this here. It looks like the more recent comments on this thread are about these changes to Radio. There's a new idea about this specifically which you can add your vote to here.

Thanks!

Comments
TK3950

I don't understand where the brainpower at Spotify has gone. They are making bad decision after bad decision for no good reason and no explanation. I switched from Pandora to Spotify because Pandora played the same songs again and again. Spotify gave me a bit more variety. But now their changes to the radio system have undone all that good. I had alrady cancelled my subscription, but now I'll have to completely move away from using Spotify -- it has turned to complete trash.

ironchef3500

Jesus, just go back to the way the radio was. I PAY for the app, I want the thumbs up and down where they were... come on!

ironchef3500

You basically, literally.... ruined it.

alexandero11

UI design positions seem to only be open to people who don't ever use the products they create and don't understand life. Google is the worst offender with Material design. So much wasted space everywhere, so many removed features. But this is different since it's a paid service, many people on spotify's team need to get fired over various decisions (the casting mess, confusingly bad UI decisions like this, autoplaying videos that hide playback controls on a MUSIC STREAMING SERVICE, etc...). 

TomLegend
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2019-03-20

Hey folks, 

The Radio feature should appear on the context menu of most albums, tracks and playlists. To access the menu, just right click on desktop or click the three dots on mobile. There you'll see the option to select 'Go to Song/Album/Playlist Radio'. 

As a heads up, there's been some recent changes to the way Radio works. You can check out the details of this here. It looks like the more recent comments on this thread are about these changes to Radio. There's a new idea about this specifically which you can add your vote to here.

Thanks!

jonatancc

Hi all,

So, as far I understood, the old radio style mixed by a playlist, album or a song is not eliminated but you have to go to the last song of the Playlist created by the new feature and then it raise.

I don't really get it, why don't you guys add it as a different option on the context menu (Radio vs Playlist Radio) instead of confusing people mixing both functionality on only one? Even more, without any comment in the app or when you are using it.

Thanks here!

bmflick

Super disappointed with Spotify these days. Why has the radio changed into a playlist now? There’s no option for thumbs up/down to customize to what you like... and it’s a finite number of songs. It should be called a Playlist not radio. Please bring back the radio! I used that feature almost exclusively and now it’s useless. 

DiazEA

This is a terrible change...How is it useful to users?

•  What user feedback asked you to make a playlist and call it a radio station? 
  •  What user feedback requested  fake radio stations with only 50 50 songs that never change or refresh...Forcing users to go to end of playlist every time they want to hear something new?
  • What user feedback asked for this workflow?  Select your radio station of 50 songs..if yo uare tired of them every time you select that station: go to last song, forward to end, hopefully radio starts playing and it doesnt go back to first song. 
  •  At least for me, reaching end of playlist doesnt work it just goes back to beginning. And yes I have "AutoPlay" enabled. Oddly it worked a few times but now doesnt anymore.
Novbert

Is this how radios work now? Sounds disappointing. 

barnesjrd

I think this is a step backwards. I much preferred the original radio functionality.