Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Rooms/Shared Listening Concept

Hello there!

I know this idea has been brought up before, but all those ideas were several years ago by now, and I couldn't find a recent discussion about this.

Imagine having "rooms" within Spotify, where you can listen together, simultaneously, to the same track with everybody else in the room, no matter where in the world they are, and no matter what device they're using. You can step up and join the DJ queue, and all DJs in the room play one track, one after another. The friend feed on the right side turns into a chatbox, and you can communicate and talk about music while listening to the same tracks. Think tuntable.fm, plug.dj, jqbx.fm, ... but right inside Spotify!

Check out this Medium article by Austin Condiff I found today, detailing this concept (following mockup taken from that article). 

1_oe-EgKyDiW_zOdAENX2zbQ

I've been hoping to have some social aspect like this within Spotify, and I think this would enrich the community even further. You could create rooms based on genres or moods, and enjoy music together with friends and strangers alike. An upvote/downvote function would keep rooms democratic and true to their respective themes. 

The mentioned article perfectly explains the concept and benefits of this feature, please check it out! 

Thoughts?

Thanks and have a great day!

Updated on 2020-10-15

Hi everyone!

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your votes to this idea.

We're setting this to 'not right now' as we don't currently have any plans to implement this.
In the meantime, we do however now have the option to join a remote Group Session with all your friends and enjoy the same tracks simultaneously no matter how many miles apart you might be.

For more information be sure to check out our Support site page.

If we have any more info to share on this, rest assured we'll check back in here.
Thanks!

Comments
_Lee_R
there is a beta room share feature now, look for the concept while playing music to generate the share link
Pleio

But the room share is only for 5 people and everyone can manipulate the playback. That is not really what is wanted in the closed feature requests which are closed with a link to this.

What is asked for ist this feature but for severall hundreds of listeners and only one "dj" just like a radio station.

mickeymouse113

I had the same idea! (or similar at least)

It would be sort of like a chat room based on artists. So currently in Spotify there is [Artist] Radio, where you have one like [Artist] Channel and people with similar music taste could talk to each other, and make friends! Would be a really cool feature, and can definitely monetize it very very easily. Win win!

RasmusSL92

So, the idea is that your friend basically becomes a DJ, and that you can choose to tap in and listen to their “program”, much like

tuning into a radio channel. Would be pretty comfy knowing you’re listening to the same songs.

Later on you could expand on the idea and welcome musicians and the like to go live for a small window of time, and whoever wants to can tune in. 

parias78

live feed shareble trhoug watsup face. etc were user can attach to the quque

Alex
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-10-11

Hello @RasmusSL92,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

ByJonny

Love this!!! And since there is already an option to see what friends listen to, it’s literally just to add the auto follow-function instead of having to click play manually each time their songs switch!

Yukee

Build live broadcasts for people listen with in-sync.
and a in-chat in that room. 

milmilemile

The idea is that you could turn on a local radio mode which would allow you to listen to what other spotify users that are nearby are listening to ( only the ones who have their radio mode turned on ) and vice versa, make your live listening session accessible to other spotify users around you. Of course the connection is encrypted and anonymous. 

Bamy9911

Add an option that when activated one can see what others around are listening to and join their sessiona.

And a separate option that allows people around to find you.