Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Library] Automatically follow artists whose songs are saved

I went to go to my artists tab on spotify to find ideas for what to listen to today, but it's been utterly butchered with the new update. Now, you have to follow artists individually instead of being able to see the artists of all your liked songs. This is a regressive change, and very inconvenient. I can still go to my own likes songs and sort by artist there to get a list of all my artists, but that's really inconvenient cause I have to scroll through all of the songs by one artist in order to get to the next one. Plus, if I wanna play just my liked songs by an artist, I have to type in the artist's name in my liked songs playlist instead of just going to my artist library and tapping on that artist.  please fix this.

Updated on 2019-12-03

Hi everyone.

We're not planning any changes at the moment, but please keep leaving your Likes and we'll come back if we have news.

Comments
Staff
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Marked as a new idea--we've updated the title to clarify what you're requesting for other users. 

stephenm1

Include All Liked Songs in "Artists"

Hi - @Staff Thank you so much for taking this into consideration.

For years I have built up a library of artists and songs I listen to by "adding them to my library". I pretty much exclusively listen via the Artist library and was easily able to sort by alphabetical order, select an artist and just listen to the songs I like. 

The recent update to the platform is great in so much as "Liking" songs. I often listen and "like" songs on my Apple Watch so the UI is simple and easy.

HOWEVER the new platform update, now only sorts artists by the ones I "follow" and the ones I actually "like" are in a random order that are super hard to sort or scan through.

I do see that you've updated the UI to play just the songs I like, as for a while it forced me to listen to an artist's entire catalogue and that was a bonkers regression and one where I almost cancelled my subscription in frustration with an asinine update.

PLEASE CONSIDER moving all artists where I like songs up to my actual library. They are currently listed as "Recommended Artists" but to me they are not "recommended" they are my "actual" artists. I welcome "Amazon-esque" recommendations to broaden my listening and find new artists, however if I like a song or any number of songs 100+ then they should be in my library not "recommended" and totally impossible to sort.

I actually like the UX of a "favorite" section of artists I typically listen to. It's painful, but I guess I'll have to go through and "Follow" the ones I listen to most. However I'd also like to easily sort and listen to my wider library of artists.

Thanks again and hope you can help!

Jpgchief

It’s definitely a valid point, even when I don’t use Spotify in this particular way.

DanifC

In the meantime, there's a third-party tool linked in this thread that will allow you to mass-follow all your artists so you have them under your artists page. Worked perfectly for me. 

Mean_Derr

Writing comments in these threads doesn't lead to any sort of action at all. It'll just get buried or closed.

Might suggest going to your app store to voice your concerns and give Spotify a rating showing how appreciated the changes are.

zardox

I actually like this change. Once upon a time when clicking for Artists in Spotify one would see all artistst that one had a song saved. There was also a filter for only displaying "followed" artists. This is actually the best option that I prefered.

The spotify interface then changed to remove the filter. One could no longer see only "followed" artists.

Now again we have a change to display only followed artists on the Artists page. I prefer that as it is more important to me to see the filtered version of the list. It is less important, to me, to view all artistst that one had a song saved. I would prefer that both be available by going back to the earlier option i described in my first paragraph. However, if I need to choose one or the other I would choose what has now been done. Only display artists that one has explicitly checked "follow"

Spotify, just give us the OPTION to. Please stop making all UI changes absolute. It has always been push for new and pushback. Make it more customisable man

bhare

Alternatively, Spotify could allow you to list all artists in your library, and maybe even sort them by "recently added" or "alphabetically" without having to follow them. Make sort by Followed your default, fine, that adds functionality, but don't take away the ability to display all artists entirely.

Here's a great quote from Apple about browsing your music in iTunes:

"Sometimes you don’t know what you want to listen to, and sometimes you know exactly what you want to hear. If you’re not sure what music you want to listen to, you’ll want to browse your music collection. You can use the Browse pane in iTunes to see the names of all the artists in your collection. When you find the artist you want to listen to, you can see every album by the artist that you’ve imported. You can also browse by genre."

Roflcopteroid

It seems to me the change to the title isn't even what OP, nor most commenters, wanted. Don't make us automatically follow artists, revert the awful changes so we aren't forced to follow in the first place!

It was requested 5 years ago that you can choose which artists show up in your library (now "implemented"), and if this is genuinely based on that idea, it is the most horrible way to go about it. Don't cut out a chunk of functionality that so many people use - find a way to add it in without taking anything out. For example, you could have not done any of this and simply re-added the ability to filter library artists to those followed. 

And then despite the massive backlash and waves of users threatening to jump to other services, these ideas are set to "Not Right Now" and ignored? Awful update followed by doubling down against the userbase... Some kind of bigbrain 4D chess strat going down here. 

Juliahof

I loved when I could go to the artists page and see ALL of the songs I've saved from the artist and NOT songs I didn't save. Sometimes I have one or two songs from one album and one or two songs from another so its not logical to go to the albums tab or go to the artists page. And it takes too much time to create a playlist for each artist that I listen to. Go back to the old setup please. If this was a way to let peaople choose the artists in their library, just add the artist automatically and allow people to delete (or add) artists from/to the library afterwards.