Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ways to Sync local music to phone besides wifi

Solved!

Ways to Sync local music to phone besides wifi

Hello,

I consider myself fairly tech savvy and I know people will agree with me on this.  It is ridiculous that users cannot sync local files through another method besides wifi.  I'm a paying customer with a premium account and find it very frustrating that I can't listen to my own music.  I would really appreciate if someone could give some attention to this matter.  It was fine when I could save my music to my SD card (I'm currently using the Incredible 2 Android phone) and play my local files that way, but now Spotify has gotten rid of that! I just hope that these kinds of problems don't cause me to cancel my subscription because I do enjoy the other features that Spotify offers.  Please help!

-SA

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Ok, just tried to sync again over a wifi tether and it worked 🙂

So, a solution:

1. Turn on wifi tethering
  2. Connect it to your laptop/pc
  3. Open the spotify app
  4. Click the devices tab and wait.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

@Khrieger wrote:

Hello,

I consider myself fairly tech savvy and I know people will agree with me on this.  It is ridiculous that users cannot sync local files through another method besides wifi.  I'm a paying customer with a premium account and find it very frustrating that I can't listen to my own music.  I would really appreciate if someone could give some attention to this matter.  It was fine when I could save my music to my SD card (I'm currently using the Incredible 2 Android phone) and play my local files that way, but now Spotify has gotten rid of that! I just hope that these kinds of problems don't cause me to cancel my subscription because I do enjoy the other features that Spotify offers.  Please help!

-SAO

One thing that works for me occasionally is connecting my laptop to my android tether and doing it that way. Doesnt work most of the time though.

You got it to sync with wifi? I can't even get it to do that, I opened the ports on my router, made an exception in the firewall, then disabled the firewall altogether, and it still can't detect my "device" running stock android. As far as I'm concerned, there ISN'T a way to sync local music at all.

@mropportunity wrote:

You got it to sync with wifi? I can't even get it to do that, I opened the ports on my router, made an exception in the firewall, then disabled the firewall altogether, and it still can't detect my "device" running stock android. As far as I'm concerned, there ISN'T a way to sync local music at all.

Like I said, used to work with an android tether. Doesn't anymore. I think the dev team forgot to include syncing capabilities when they updated the app.

Sounds like the right assumption, a lot has been missing since the update. I'll give them credit, it's faster and more stable by a long shot, at least for me. But as of right now, I can't sync with my desktop at all, which means I have to download songs from their servers...it would save them money if this feature worked properly, since their servers would be used less often.

@mropportunity wrote:

Sounds like the right assumption, a lot has been missing since the update. I'll give them credit, it's faster and more stable by a long shot, at least for me. But as of right now, I can't sync with my desktop at all, which means I have to download songs from their servers...it would save them money if this feature worked properly, since their servers would be used less often.

Maybe they like spending money..

I know they use P2P to get the songs to you though, so it may not cost that much.

Also, I do have to agree. I prefer this version of the app - especially the lock screen controls on my JB os.

Marked as solution

Ok, just tried to sync again over a wifi tether and it worked 🙂

So, a solution:

1. Turn on wifi tethering
  2. Connect it to your laptop/pc
  3. Open the spotify app
  4. Click the devices tab and wait.

thanks man, i'll try that one next lol. I got it just now by using Windows XP, and toggling offline mode every few minutes until one time it finally appeared, sync'd a dozen or so songs, then disappeared, etc. I'm using a nexus s, this shouldn't be an issue on stock android. I could understand a bad carrier customization, etc.

Cheers!

@mropportunity wrote:

thanks man, i'll try that one next lol. I got it just now by using Windows XP, and toggling offline mode every few minutes until one time it finally appeared, sync'd a dozen or so songs, then disappeared, etc. I'm using a nexus s, this shouldn't be an issue on stock android. I could understand a bad carrier customization, etc.

Cheers!

Your welcome 🙂

P.S

Whats a carrier customization? Is it basically a custom rom? I'm from the UK, so it may be called something else.

@liamwli wrote:

@mropportunity wrote:

Cheers!

Your welcome 🙂

P.S

Whats a carrier customization? Is it basically a custom rom? I'm from the UK, so it may be called something else.

Oh awesome, you guys have better regulations on your cellular providers than we do in the US, so thank a politician whenever you can. I'm just referring to the bloatware from our providers (such as carrier-branded navigation, video, and app services) which are worthless and redundant on Android phones, though I guess I was also thinking of manufacturer customizations like HTC Sense and Samsung's TouchWiz.

I can see Spotify having difficulty getting the app to work on every handset running carrier junk apps (some of our worst offenders force the apps to run on boot and they cannot be removed), or on every phone when there's an extra UI overlay like Sense....but it should work perfectly communicating between Windows and the Android developer phones like the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus since those are what the app is tested on -- well, what the app should be tested on, I suppose.

@mropportunity wrote:

@liamwli wrote:

@mropportunity wrote:

Cheers!

Your welcome 🙂

P.S

Oh awesome, you guys have better regulations on your cellular providers than we do in the US, so thank a politician whenever you can. I'm just referring to the bloatware from our providers (such as carrier-branded navigation, video, and app services) which are worthless and redundant on Android phones, though I guess I was also thinking of manufacturer customizations like HTC Sense and Samsung's TouchWiz.

I can see Spotify having difficulty getting the app to work on every handset running carrier junk apps (some of our worst offenders force the apps to run on boot and they cannot be removed), or on every phone when there's an extra UI overlay like Sense....but it should work perfectly communicating between Windows and the Android developer phones like the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus since those are what the app is tested on -- well, what the app should be tested on, I suppose.

Nope, we have that. It's only Orange that are the bad offenders though.

Anyways, thats why the AOSP was invented 😉

Aww, shatters my vision of an island cellular paradise across the pond...

Sorry...

(Crawls behing the wardrobe).

Yes, using Wifi currently is the only supported way.

Community Ergo Sum

Suggested posts