Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot Listen to Local Files on my Mobile

Solved!

Cannot Listen to Local Files on my Mobile

I will try to be as detailed as possible as this has been eluding me all day and I have gone through all of the help material I can find.

I have a Motorola Triumph from Android Gingerbread with Spotify Premium.  I also have Windows 7 with Spotify downloaded.  I have no problems playing musing on desktop.  On my mobile device I can easily play streaming files on my wifi or on my 3gnetwork. But I cannot seem to sync and play local files to my mobile from my desktop.

I have 5 playlists set up in Spotify in windows, there all have "Available Offline" turned on, and a green circle with a down arrow next the the playlists I want to sync.(This includes the "Starred" playlist)

On the mobile I have checked all of the playlists I want available online and selected done.  After about an hour it went through each of the sync, I sah the numbers 1 of 432, 2 of 432, etc. until it completed.  However whenever I try to play files that where local files Spotify just shuts down, no matter which song I try and play on any playlist.  it DOES however work perfectly for any "starred" songs that are not local songs.  Those are available for instant offline play without issue.

So I need to know how can I get this to stop, I want to use Spotify on my mobile as my primary, and preferably only, music playing app.  I have a large collection of MP3s I've colected over the year which spotify has recognized but I want synced and transfered to my Mobile's SD card so I can play them offline and on the go.

Any help I can get wouldbe greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The Preview version is currently only available right here - http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Judging by the first post here, there may be some confusion in the Local Files syncing process. Here are the full instructions you'd need.

Airhorn Enthusiast

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@italodevroom wrote:

Got the same problem (and many others) on my htc one x,

i think spotify should update the app sometimes because the last update was from november.. 

Try the preview beta release: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/ - not perfect, but much better for ICS

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Marked as solution

The latest app can't play local tracks without them having having been sync'd to your phone by the desktop app as part of a playlist. Yeah ... sucks
----------------

29 Replies

Same here, Galaxy Nexus. Will NOT play local my own MP3s that have supposedly be synced to the phone.

I just started having this same problem. I have a Galaxy Nexus with Ice Cream Sandwich and a Premium account and have been playing my locally-owned music alongside the music I had downloaded from Spotify for the last couple of months. Then all of the sudden for the past few weeks I can't play my local files, it shuts Spotify down. But I can still play the music that I've downloaded. This will be within the same offline playlists - the downloaded ones will play, the local files synced with my computer will shut down the app.

I have the same issue with DROID BIONIC

seems to be a thing... any ideas??

same on galaxy nexus

Hello,

I'm assuming you're currently running the Preview version of Spotify on your Android? This version has no support for local files at present.
Airhorn Enthusiast

I'm using the app that was on the Google Play store.  Is that the preview version, is there more than 1 version??

Marked as solution

The Preview version is currently only available right here - http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Judging by the first post here, there may be some confusion in the Local Files syncing process. Here are the full instructions you'd need.

Airhorn Enthusiast

Judging from my first post how could there be any confusions?  I literally discribed each step in the first post.  Which I have done, multiple times, and thoroughly read before posting.

Same here with Motorola Milestone, thats really annoying 😕

Thanks for the info - I am using the preview version, the updated interface is growing on me.

I've had a few problems (Nexus S Android 4.0.4) with local files playing. Some albums transfer and play fine, others seem to transfer and do not play, and some albums just stay pending. Glad it's not my system and it's just work in progress.

Hopefully you'll get this all ironed out and an update is approaching???!??? soon...

Thanks

i think spotify should update the app sometimes because the last update was from november..

Marked as solution

@italodevroom wrote:

Try the preview beta release: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/ - not perfect, but much better for ICS

----------------

thanks, that one works great for me!

This does not help. Files are already on phone not desktop.

Marked as solution

The latest app can't play local tracks without them having having been sync'd to your phone by the desktop app as part of a playlist. Yeah ... sucks
----------------

Haha, seriously?  So if I have 32 gigs of music on my sd card already, it wants me to blow them away and start syncing them all over again back to the phone using Spotify?  Lolno.

I was wondering about the local files problem. Recently I have been trying to sync some Tenacious D. I have all my unedited local files. They sync to my ipod fine thru spotify. But when I try to sync to my Motorola Atrix 2... it sync's the stupid "clean versions"  the spotify mobile app has in its database instead of MY MP3's. Why the heck won't it use my versions instead? Who wants to listen to songs other than the way they were originally intented to be like? Why cant I listen to MY mp3's? Spotify isn't really syncing anything if it actually makes you listen to THEIR versions of the song instead of MP3's you supposedly just "synced".  Whats the point?

When I am on my home network... I think it might play my unedited versions... but then when I leave my house... even in offline mode. It will switch back to these previously cached edited versions. Not cool. Creating new playlists and reinstalling and blah blah blah did nothing. This last update was horrible. Now I cannot listen to any of my local tracks unless spotify has their own version of them (which might end up being censored). LAME. I might cancel my subscription just because of this one fact. Maybe you guys should request that the music partners give you both versions of an album instead of one or the other. That way you can please both crowds. Just a thought. And bring back local SD support. Not cool. NOT COOL.

I for some reason had to unistall / reinstall the app and the same thing. It can't seem to find the local files on the internal memory.

Suggested posts