Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

The ideal time for a song

The ideal time for a song

Not too long ago, people didn't care about the timing of a song, but nowadays with digital acceleration, for some styles, songs longer than 3 minutes usually don't work well. That's why I ask you: - Can you listen to a song for more than 3 minutes?

7 Replies

Great question, @geovanebento!

I’d say I tend to prefer songs that are longer than 3 minutes, and a lot of my favorite songs are over 7 minutes—for instance, the median song length in my favorite playlist that I’ve made is currently 7:20.

I'm not sure why I tend to like relatively long songs, but one reason could be that they have more time to explore their melodic and rhythmic patterns, sometimes evolving considerably over the course of the track, which I think can be conducive to a pleasantly immersive listening experience while also allowing more time for me to decide what songs to listen to next.

However, it might also be the case that relatively long songs are common in the genres that I enjoy the most, such that I tend to listen to them relatively often as a result of my music preferences.

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Very cool to know that you listen to longer songs, nowadays it's increasingly difficult for people to listen to longer songs. I believe that the acceleration of social media may be making people more anxious and impatient...

That's a great question @geovanebento 

I listen to a lot of electronic music, where one might think majority of music is 3 minutes or below, but with genres like drum&bass and its siblings as well as experimental electronica, you often meet some fairly lengthy pieces of music. In bass music in general track lengths tend to be on a shorter side, and I'm pretty sure it's not because listeners can't sit still for 3 minutes, but because of other things entirely : )

As of how long songs i can tolerate - as long as I am captivated by the song, it can be any length really.
I'm generally very unhappy when a song I really love is not long enough. Case in point - this song:
spotify:track:1rnezqJTmGxHbPFqKiWG9Q:small 

It's an absolute heaven for me with all the textures, but... it's just a short interlude. 🥲

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This song is perfect for syncing on TVs or movies. You should try something like this...

it doesn't really bother me, but much of my music is 5 minutes or longer. i start to get bored of a song when it reaches the 10 minute mark if its too repetitive though lol

Well, i don't know what kind of music do you hear, but I can tell you that ther are a lot of wonderful songs, that are longer that 3 minutes, sooo much longer. 
Like this great song, for example. enjoy it

https://open.spotify.com/track/1r9mGafUiSgumJoRqyLrSt?si=950a6013b74c4c8d

I can listen to a song more the 3 minutes I enjoy songs which are longer then 15 minutes. That my personal taste and depends on my mood that day.

Suggested posts