Premium

Country

United States

Device

Google Pixel 4a

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

Since updating to Android 11 yesterday, Spotify audio playback stutters horribly when the device display is locked. Restarts/reinstalls do not fix the issue.

Hey everyone,

We appreciate your reporting this and providing us with the relevant info.

Based on the reports we have received and the investigation conducted, it seems like this is affecting many other apps besides Spotify. 

From the information we were able to gather, since many other apps are not behaving as expected, this is most likely an issue outside of our control. We suggest to install new Android updates as soon as they become available for the newest fixes to your OS.

Please note, that this issue is specifically for Android 11 and has been investigated by our teams as such. For anyone experiencing similar symptoms on other OS versions, it's best to post in a separate thread so we can look into what's happening separately. We'd also recommend checking this support site article in case that's what you're experiencing.

For more info about what the different Ongoing Issues statuses mean, check this Spotify Answer.

Thank you!

Comments
Ivan

Hey @mm12345 and @Slimeyboi

Thanks for bearing with us while we're looking into the issue. 

In case you experience a similar issue on Samsung devices we can suggest starting a new thread in the relevant help board of the Community since most of the users in this thread report it occurring on Pixel devices.

If the issue you experience is a different one and affects specifically Samsung devices we'll be able to investigate it in a separate Ongoing Issue thread.  

Make sure you provide us with all relevant details mentioned in the Status Update of this thread when posting. This will help us take a closer look at the issue.   

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

Drelorean

I am also having this problem. Playback keeps stopping when screen is locked. 

Device: Pixel 3a

Spotify Version 8.5.82.894

Mostly when using Bluetooth or directly through phone speakers. Works now via Chromecast. 

Troubleshooting: factory reset of phone and uninstalled & reinstalles spotify as well as repaired Bluetooth speakers. 

Hope this gets fixed soon!

Thanks everyone!!

oddthomas2113
  • Spotify family premium in US on beta
  • Google Pixel 3a
  • Android 11
  • Spotify Version 8.5.84.0
  • Happens with all content
  • Occurs with all types of connections
  • Only happens with Spotify
  • Reboot device. Cleared cache. Cleared data. Clean reinstall. 

When listening, content will pause or skip/stutter. The only thing that sometimes resolves it is exiting the app and trying again. Other times an entire reboot is necessary. It continues to do it every time I use spotify. 

redelgyemmedabo

the music skips the song and the music pauses at 0:09 without me pausing it on my old ass PC LAPTOP

(i got it on 2012)

reberz

Same issue here on 3a, driving me insane to the point where I'm going to remove my premium account as it's my main device. Fingers crossed it gets resolved as I really enjoy it.

Unlock the screen and playback resumes, changing battery modes and stuff doesn't do anything, wifi or data doesn't do anything, changing streaming quality doesn't do anything, downloading the files doesn't help, uninstall and reinstall doesn't help, force closing doesn't help, headphones or car audio or device speaker also doesn't change anything..... Fingers crossed

matyd1

I'm also having this issue with BOTH iPhone and Android.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

• Android Version 10
  • Spotify Version - 8.5.82.894

iPhone 8 

• Software Version - 14.0.1
  • Spotify Version - 8.5.82.1469

Used with Bluetooth (3 different types of bluetooth devices), restarted both devices and bluetooth devices (as well as repaired them), reinstalled Spotify on both devices. No change.

SpacedSkunk
  • Device make and model. - Pixel 3a
  • OS version. - Android 11 - build RPA1.201005.004 (UK model)
  • Exact Spotify version. - 8.5.82.894
  • Is it happening only with a specific type of content? - No
  • Does this occur when using Connect, Bluetooth or both? - All if the screen if off
  • Does it happen only with Spotify or with other apps as well? - Just Spotify as far as I can tell
  • Troubleshooting steps you tried so far. - Disabling any battery saving settings
RicSaa

I am also having the same issue on all Bluetooth connected devices. My ear buds and car. Songs will skip and stutter.

Device Pixel 4a

Android 11

Spotify version 8.5.82.894

Dsaspot1

Pixel 3a

Family account (sub user).

Only noticed on Podcasts

Bluetooth and phone speaker

Latest Android (11?)

All the bot walkthroughs (uninstall, log out, account transfer, clear storage down etc)

I had no idea whatsoever until earlier when it clicked that when my phone case was closed it started to funk out... Shame the 5 bots couldn't trace this thread and give me a clue before then

TeamWideBody

I am using a Pixel 3a

Android Version 11 Build Number RP1A.21005.004

Spotify Version 8.5.83.1056

Only with happens with Bluetooth.  It seems to only happen with Spotify but I can not say positively.

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling.  Resting cache, etc  I have joined the Beta in hopes it would help.

My issue is the Music randomly stops and as soon as I touch the phone or move it, the sound recovers, LOUDLY.

Sometimes I even need to turn it down after a hang.

I would love to help in anyway.  I am on the Android beta as well