Premium

Country

US 

Device

Moto X4

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

This happened with my last phone, Samsung S7 running Oreo (or whatever the most recent OS is) but it was fixed when I got the Moto X4. I like to keep a lot of songs downloaded offline because my service is terrible and I also spend a lot of time in the mountains. Before I I update my phone to the new Android Pie OS there was no problems. Now everytime I reset my phone I think spotify cannot see my SD card at first and tries to download all the music to its internal storage and I have to go back in and tell it to store it in the SD card. That is extremely annyoing but not the end of the world. What is really frustrating is that I think all of the downloaded songs are still on the SD card and just keep redownloading and taking up space. Eventually this will cause me to reformat the card which will be a major pain for me since I store a large amount of photos on there also. Is anyone else have this problem? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the application so any other suggestions or help?

Hey there.

We just wanted to let you know that we've looked into this with the right folks now.

We are currently trying to resolve the issue. We don't have a timeframe for a fix, but we're really glad you let us know about this. If you have any other questions, just let us know!

Keep your app up-to-date and have a nice day 🙂

Comments
Happyaudio77

Luckily haven't had this problem until the app logged me out anf can't log back in offline. I fixed the log in problem but lost all my downloaded songs.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Can-t-log-in-Offline/m-p/4672729#M145813

emeba

I just tried this and it didn't work for me. Anybody else find a solution?

jokee

My father has same problem on Samsugn Galaxy S9+ 😞

dgs2-q_s9hk3h
I had same issue logged off in offline mode so I couldn't access the online
account. But later after I deleted and reinstalled I found that there was a
spotify widget to toggle offline mode from the desktop lol
jokee

next update ant nothing repaired! wth?!

dgs2-q_s9hk3h
Try this

1. Delete cache and all data in the app on your phone.
2. Uninstall the app.

3. Use a pc and login to manage your account via browser
4. Navigate to your 'offline devices' and delete all listed devices from
the list.

5. Install the app on your phone and log in.

Ever since Spotify uses my SD card properly.

Good luck, fellows

brandonchong19

Plan

Premium

Country

Hong Kong  

Device

Samsung Galaxy S9+

Operating System

Android Pie (One UI)

I can also relate to this problem as this has been happening for far too long.  Clearing the cache, uninstalling the application, deleting all offline devices, and reinstalling the app doesn't solve the problem.  Reformatting the SD card doesn't rectify the issue either.  Restarting the phone changes the storage type back to internal storage, and Spotify will download new songs into the phone.  I consider this problem to be unacceptable as it is very time consuming and annoying knowing that the problem will happen again.   I'm honestly sick and tired of the lack of support for Android phones when saving songs into the SD card.  I hope this issue can be addressed, but I doubt it.

Every time I reboot my storage changes from SD card to internal storage  I've already reinstalled, formatted my SD card and spent way  too much time on this  Please fix this asap.

Plan

Premium

Country

Us

Device

Galaxy 9+

Operating System

Android pie

Max_Murray

I have had the same problem on my s8 which I just updated to android 9.0 (pie). Hopfully this big is fixed in the next update for spotify.

VicVicVicx

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S9 (SM-G960U)

Operating System

Android version 9 (Pie); One UI version 1.0; Android security patch level 01/01/2019

My Question or Issue

Hello. A search on Google shows that many people have had this issue for years. Simply put, the storage location of my music data (i.e., songs) keeps reverting back to "internal device" from "SD card." I can switch it to the external storage, but the next day I check, it's already reverted back to internal storage.

I finally purchased Spotify Premium to make use of my new hardware, but am not very happy with Spotify right now. Two weeks ago, I started using the Galaxy S9 primarily because it has an microSD card slot. Last week, I purchased a $100+ 400GB microSD card so I can store offline media, such as songs from Spotify Premium and videos from Netflix. My phone's internal 64GB is miniscule by comparison.

I have 15.2GB of Spotify songs downloaded, with music quality set to "Very high." That isn't an enormous amount for a 400GB microSD storage, but it's wrecking havoc on my 64GB internal device storage: I had to delete 10GB of files off my internal storage because the Spotify music data moved back to and ate up my internal storage until there was almost no space remaining.

It seems like there are hundreds of posts about this issue over the last several years. The main solution seems to be a clean installation (example: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/spotify-doesn-t-save-to-sd-card/m-p/873535). I don't mind that, but downloading 15.2GB is going to be a pain timewise, and I'll have to pay ~$10 to do it due to bandwidth limits. I want to be certain I have exhausted other suggestions first before throwing more money and time at this potential solution - or if this suggested solution will definitely work, let me know so and I'll go ahead and try it.

Thank you.