Premium

Country

US 

Device

Moto X4

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

This happened with my last phone, Samsung S7 running Oreo (or whatever the most recent OS is) but it was fixed when I got the Moto X4. I like to keep a lot of songs downloaded offline because my service is terrible and I also spend a lot of time in the mountains. Before I I update my phone to the new Android Pie OS there was no problems. Now everytime I reset my phone I think spotify cannot see my SD card at first and tries to download all the music to its internal storage and I have to go back in and tell it to store it in the SD card. That is extremely annyoing but not the end of the world. What is really frustrating is that I think all of the downloaded songs are still on the SD card and just keep redownloading and taking up space. Eventually this will cause me to reformat the card which will be a major pain for me since I store a large amount of photos on there also. Is anyone else have this problem? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the application so any other suggestions or help?

Hey there.

We just wanted to let you know that we've looked into this with the right folks now.

We are currently trying to resolve the issue. We don't have a timeframe for a fix, but we're really glad you let us know about this. If you have any other questions, just let us know!

Keep your app up-to-date and have a nice day 🙂

Comments
lsahjpaul99

I'm honestly so disappointed in this company after tirelessly convincing many of my friends and family (on iOS) to switch to Spotify from Apple music as I'm their go to person for tech advice and personally I prefer Spotify. I feel so ashamed that I've been recommending this app which we ALL pay for and meanwhile I haven't even been able to get a single response back from anyone on the dev team regarding this issue. In today's world where my Samsung flagship main device is $1900...are you seriously telling me the biggest complaint I have surrounding my smartphone is my choice of music streaming service completely dropping the ball for almost half a decade on a SINGLE issue which makes it IMPOSSIBLE to even POWER CYCLE my device...without having to download 34GB of music back onto my SD card EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. If I sound **bleep** it's because I am but the part of this "unhappy customer" situation that sets it apart is that everyone on this thread has earned the right to be **bleep** at Spotify. I still continue to use this service and every update I see come out that is lacking a resolution for this makes me regret giving it another chance, time and time again. 

TLDR; Spofity Devs wake the **bleep** up and please allow this service to be truly as great as we know it has the potential to be. I work in the tech industry and the response time on this issue is abysmal. They should be ashamed and lucky we aren't pestering them for refunds/credits. 

dgs2-q_s9hk3h
let me guess your SD card is encrypted isn't it? well try this. turn
'developer options' on in the settings menu. open the tab, scroll down near
the bottom you will find the setting 'force allow apps on external' turn
this on. close settings find Spotify, long hold it to get the wedgit thrn
click the 'i' to get the app options. force stop the app then click
'storage' it should say 'current storage internal' click on that and change
it to external... answer yes and migrate it to the external card.... there
now let it try and access the SD card before its mounted kinda hard lol
Machew222

Moving the whole app to the SD card does NOT work for very long.  Whenever there is an app update or I reboot my device the whole app installs back to internal storage.  

Corvax

So... This issue is "solved" for me. You know how? They just removed option to choose where to save downloaded content. Now it's being saved only in internal storage. Bravo! It means that I just can't download anything due to internal storage limit. No possibility - no issue😬

It's not what I was waiting for really. 

UPD. The above happened because I set to use external card as a part of internal memory. It was working very slowly for all apps and I reset it back as normal external one.

ebal58

I'm from the Philippines and I have this issue also. I tried everything, even reformatting my SD card. Every time I restart my phone, Spotify reverts back to the default storage and re-downloads all my saved music. It wasn't an issue before, mine only happened during the latest updates of Spotify. It's quite disturbing 'coz every time I go out of my house, I have to make sure everything I've downloaded are really in my phone. Updates are supposed to be fixes from previous issues on the app. Hope this will be fixed soon in the coming months 'coz I'm really trying to be 'loyal' here with Spotify and not transfer to Apple Music. Spotify playlists for me are way 'more arranged and organized' and the music in their playlists carefully grouped together in their proper genre. This is by experience when I used the trial version of the competition before and compared it. My many years of Spotify usage will not easily make me transfer to another app I've used only in a month's trial. Albeit this current issue, I will likewise still patiently wait until the HIFI version of Spotify comes.

Jmatteis_ca

I don't think that spotify is REdownloading all the music to the SD card after I switch it again, as I notice that if I play a song already on my Sd card after a restart, even on mobile, as soon as I play it, the checkmark goes green.  So it's there, it just has to reference it, as well, when I restart and switch back to SD, I find that it "downloads' the songs very fast, so again I think it just reinstates the LINK to where the song is, as it's still on the SD card.  After multiple restarts and changing storage location to SD card, I have not noticed any loss of space to songs being downloaded again

JKB314

STILL an issue! I'm redownloading my travel playlist to my phone right now!

mustardkid
Maybe the issue has been resolved. The original problem was that on restart
Spotify would switch storage from SD card to phone memory and redownload
the entire library to phone memory. It would make sense that the Spotify
gui would represent reinstating the SD card as a download.
Jmatteis_ca

Oh, I don't think it's resolved, for my part I was saying that the songs on my SD card, once I get the storage location switched over, there is only one instance of the downloads, or the songs are still there, but Spotify app goes through and confirms the path after I switch it.

I have mine set to download over wifi, so I wonder if I turned off wifi, before a restart if that would stop the process of it auto downloading and then I can go in and switch to SD card before turning on wifi again?  

Last restart when I tried to transfer over the data, the first time I got an error saying that the SD card was not ready etc.  A few minutes later, after the phone showed that the SD card was mounted it worked no problem.

FredFrost

Same issue with Note 20 and Tab S7+. Fixed multiple internal memory notifications on storage but still no luck on having Spotify revert to internal memory every time Samsung product is restarted. You then have to uninstall Spotify, reload it, then select SD card for downloads and download all over again. Total pain and time consuming. The problem has gone unanswered forever.