Premium

Country

US 

Device

Moto X4

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

This happened with my last phone, Samsung S7 running Oreo (or whatever the most recent OS is) but it was fixed when I got the Moto X4. I like to keep a lot of songs downloaded offline because my service is terrible and I also spend a lot of time in the mountains. Before I I update my phone to the new Android Pie OS there was no problems. Now everytime I reset my phone I think spotify cannot see my SD card at first and tries to download all the music to its internal storage and I have to go back in and tell it to store it in the SD card. That is extremely annyoing but not the end of the world. What is really frustrating is that I think all of the downloaded songs are still on the SD card and just keep redownloading and taking up space. Eventually this will cause me to reformat the card which will be a major pain for me since I store a large amount of photos on there also. Is anyone else have this problem? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the application so any other suggestions or help?

Hey there.

We just wanted to let you know that we've looked into this with the right folks now.

We are currently trying to resolve the issue. We don't have a timeframe for a fix, but we're really glad you let us know about this. If you have any other questions, just let us know!

Keep your app up-to-date and have a nice day 🙂

Comments
kurosawsa

I had succeeded to get all the offline music stored on the external sdcard of 500 GB. But suddenly, Spotify moved all the offline music to the internal storage. I am talking about  40 GB offline music. I  hope I will not have to redownload all the music all over again.  I just want to move it back to the sdxcard. The Spotify tool to move the music from one location to another doesn't work. 

Screenshot_20230612_183119_Spotify.jpg
dgs2-q_s9hk3h
you just want too know how to move Spotify to the external? activate
developer options scroll down to near the bottom and click 'force alow on
external' (or however its written) then go to settings>apps>Spotify>storage
and choose move to external. this will delete your currently downloaded
music. open the app and in the settings choose download to external and re
download your music. even on the highest sound quality available its only
about 2.3MB per min of storage space. even the shittiest internet these
days does 9MB a second or something which is what 4500+songs in an
hour....🤷‍♂️ one more thing you need to turn off automatic updates if
Spotify updates it will get moved back to the internal storage. i have no
idea why you'd have to ask Google....
kurosawsa

Thanks. I figured it out my self. I have uninstalled Spotify. Firstly, I have selected the external sdxcard as primary storage. I redownloaded all the music (as offline). For now, everything stays on the external sdxcard. The offline music by now is about 70 GB big. 

dgs2-q_s9hk3h
lol, why? that's what 7000 songs? meh verity is the spice of life they say.
if you're interested in another work around for it; if Spotify is on the
internal and the library is on external and you need to restart before you
do go to apps and put Spotify in deep sleep or use focus mode to pause it
and restrict its battery usage. that will prevent it from coming back on at
start up. wait until the sd card is loaded then un-pause and un-restrict it.
WillianWRM

Putting Spotify in deep sleep or focus mode didn't work for me, it does keep failing using external storage after reboot.

The only way that worked was restricting it in the battery usage.

kurosawsa

I am having the same issue again! Everything worked well until I download some new Daily mix playlists for offline listening. 

Spotify, selected the internals storage as main storage again! 

@spotify Spotify, if this issue is not getting a FIX then I am stopping my subscription! 

kurosawsa

I have tried to email **bleep** with the following : 

"

I hope Spotify will be able to help me out. It's concerning the ticket: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Issue-with-storage-option-switching-from-SD-Card-to-...
I would like to get a fix for this solution. The android Spotify keeps on changing the storage from external sdxcard to the internal storage! I have uninstalled Spotify 2x times and I had to redownload all the songs (playlists, ...) twice. Everytime when I try to download new songs, Spotify changes back to internal storage! 

"

kurosawsa

So, the issue is related to Google? It seems I can not disable updating the Spotify app. 

kurosawsa

According to Goolge, the problem is related to Spotify 

kurosawsa_0-1686915744825.png

kurosawsa

A reply from Spotify support 

Screenshot_20230616_211923_Gmail.jpg