Premium

Country

US 

Device

Moto X4

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

This happened with my last phone, Samsung S7 running Oreo (or whatever the most recent OS is) but it was fixed when I got the Moto X4. I like to keep a lot of songs downloaded offline because my service is terrible and I also spend a lot of time in the mountains. Before I I update my phone to the new Android Pie OS there was no problems. Now everytime I reset my phone I think spotify cannot see my SD card at first and tries to download all the music to its internal storage and I have to go back in and tell it to store it in the SD card. That is extremely annyoing but not the end of the world. What is really frustrating is that I think all of the downloaded songs are still on the SD card and just keep redownloading and taking up space. Eventually this will cause me to reformat the card which will be a major pain for me since I store a large amount of photos on there also. Is anyone else have this problem? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the application so any other suggestions or help?

Hey there.

We just wanted to let you know that we've looked into this with the right folks now.

We are currently trying to resolve the issue. We don't have a timeframe for a fix, but we're really glad you let us know about this. If you have any other questions, just let us know!

Keep your app up-to-date and have a nice day 🙂

Comments
ziul123

The flag would tell the application to not try to download multiple gigs of music on startup, and instead wait until the OS lets the app access the SD card. Or it could tell the app to prompt the user with a question, if they would like to download their songs again (most users would say no, wait until you can access the SD card). Anyways, it doesn't matter if this is what the workaround does, because this should not be a workaround, it should be a feature. Since there is a feature of external storage, they should make it work completely, not rely on some workaround where you have to install the app itself in local storage. I download loads of things onto my SD card, images, videos, documents, but somehow spotify is the only app that has this problem.

WillianWRM

while (no_user_response && music_directory_not_exists)
sleep(100);

there, that should do the trick

dgs2-q_s9hk3h
🤷‍♂️ they're worried about piracy, when you download songs to your offline
library a identification number is generated/edited. When the phone
restarts and the package activates it searches the local storage for that
number if it finds it then the library is loaded if it doesn't find it it
invalidates the number and you need to redownload your library. They could
set the app up so it didn't run until opened or they could possibly store
that number on the main storage but given the fact that external storage is
being phased out and the fact that unlimited data plans are almost the
normal its probably not worth the effort....
WillianWRM

Again, just make it wait until the folder is available before any ID check; I work with multi-thread and semaphore, that thing is no hard to be solved.

About the plans with unlimited data, that is not the point here; some of us live in third world countries, some of us travels a lot and don't have good signal all the time, some of us do care when our SDCard writes it all over again reducing it live cycle, some of us don't have spare money for a good 'n' new phone.

ziul123

So it's a perfectly fixable problem, spotify just has no interest in fixing it... just as I said in my other comment.

Also, another classic example of screwing over legitimate users out of a fear of piracy. Listen spotify, the only reason I pay you is for convenience. If you inconvenience me enough that pirating music is more convenient, I will do so. Please fix you terrible piece**bleep** app

dgs2-q_s9hk3h
True enough as it goes... But then again you can download 300 songs per GB
set aside 5gb on your internal for music thats 1500 songs 4500min or 3 days
worth of continuous playback....🤷‍♂️
WillianWRM

Try downloading 3MB (one song) while traveling to another state with a 2G internet (luck you cuz sometimes you get no signal at all), it will take about 10 minutes to complete, longer than the music itself.
And yes some countries we still have 3G or even 2G in road, 5G and 4G available only in bigger cities.

dgs2-q_s9hk3h
The biggest thing i don't understand is why shut your phone off at all?
Android is based on the linux kernel which is designed to run continuously.
my phone's been running for over 700 hours... Unless your phone requires a
system update.... Either that or go grab a cheap dedicated device... Sure
its a bit inconvenient but then again so is losing all your songs... And so
is banging your head against Spotify... I'm pretty sure this ticket has
been open now for 7 or 8 years so...
WillianWRM

Most because **bleep** phone with bad ram and small internal memory (that's why SDCard).

UsuarioAnon

Spotify fix this issue, this has been going on for years!!