Premium

Country

US 

Device

Moto X4

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

This happened with my last phone, Samsung S7 running Oreo (or whatever the most recent OS is) but it was fixed when I got the Moto X4. I like to keep a lot of songs downloaded offline because my service is terrible and I also spend a lot of time in the mountains. Before I I update my phone to the new Android Pie OS there was no problems. Now everytime I reset my phone I think spotify cannot see my SD card at first and tries to download all the music to its internal storage and I have to go back in and tell it to store it in the SD card. That is extremely annyoing but not the end of the world. What is really frustrating is that I think all of the downloaded songs are still on the SD card and just keep redownloading and taking up space. Eventually this will cause me to reformat the card which will be a major pain for me since I store a large amount of photos on there also. Is anyone else have this problem? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the application so any other suggestions or help?

Hey there.

We just wanted to let you know that we've looked into this with the right folks now.

We are currently trying to resolve the issue. We don't have a timeframe for a fix, but we're really glad you let us know about this. If you have any other questions, just let us know!

Keep your app up-to-date and have a nice day 🙂

Top Answer
user-removed
This widget could not be displayed.
na

Please look at what I think could be the problem (and possibly the solution):

I noticed that the SD card only mounts AFTER I unlock the first time after the boot. You can see it by the SD card icon who apears quickly at status bar just after the unlock. For security reasons, it make sense, since someone who stole the phone could try to load malicious software via external storage. Spotify service probably loads BEFORE the SD card mount, and then, like a mother who call the police when his son is 30 seconds late to come back home, it switches to the internal memory and starts to download all again. If the PIN is typed before the system boot, the SD card mount and when Spotify service loads, it can find the external storage. Works like a charm. 

This solution did not let Spotify devs off the hook, since many other apps that use external storage didn't present this issue at all.

SOLUTION:

Make sure, if you have a PIN or password set, to Android ask BEFORE the system boot.

Further information here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Storage-switched-back-to-internal-at-every-reboot-I-ve-found-the/m-p/4714532

Comments
vaajy

Thanks, actually this model broke on first day, just like the full wired model. Claimed warranty refund.

Got full wireless Sony WF-C500 for €40 at discount, feels better.

I also bought SanDisk card for photos and videos, which I will NOT use for Spotify cache. It seems breaking cards.

My inline memory 21 Gb free after OS is almost full with Spotify 10 GB cache.

Only less than 3 Gb FREE. If it won't work, I'll buy 128 Gb inline storage phone model.

I gave up completely on Spotify Offline, as I have unlimited 4G internet at €4 month only (512 kbps).

Not worth the hassle to replace micro sd cards for free all month long after they get broken.

Seems as well no one at Spotify will fix this issue, the developer option workaround to force app on sd card works for as long as there are no updates, which will make app back to the inline storage and after reboot files are gone.

dgs2-q_s9hk3h
I had audible kill an sd card. I was downloading a book and it was raining
out. The phone got wet and the memory card was disconnected while the
download was in progress. That basically locks the write cache in a open
state and it can't ever close.. there is a fix but it basically involves
using the command line to mark the write cache sectors as damaged do not
use then designating a new set of sectors as the write cache.... The
explanation of how to do it made eyes cross.... So....
vaajy

@dgs2-q_s9hk3h

Maybe it's because of continuous writing and reading which makes these card go bad.

Seller said I should try Endurance micro sd cards, but one card was almost at a price of new phone, so I said no. Just do not throw your broken card in the trash. With receipt to the seller and you get new one for free. They come with 5 or even 10 year warranty. Yes they indeed lock the write mode, I was unable to write anything to card as well. It's much easier to stream, will not buy new phone. Old not even a year.

And they do lock card so you can backup any files you might need before swapping the dead card.

I also solved the need for Offline lists when connection is bad. I grab from laptop app 50 most played tracks in Spotify profile, then you just add them to a Most played playlist. I usually delete the list at tuesdays and add 50 new tracks from same view to keep it updated. It always has 50 tracks of new music, which is worth over 3 hours. I store it in inline memory with 10 Gb automatical cache and this way you can make it on 32 GB phone model. I usually have 3 Gb of free space on my inline memory. Anything else on new 32 GB card.

Hope this helps.

Ian39

Samsung A50

Android 11

Spotify version 8.9.22.539. (but it doesn't really matter, this problem was present even in older versions, around 1 year)

Updated to 8.9.24.633 still same issue

Premium plan

ISSUE

sometimes happen during rebooting, always happen when the app is updated, other randomly.

Everything from the user part has been done, deleting all cache and data from Spotify folder, clean installation, plenty of space on the SD 250GB (working) - using 50GB for Spotify

The only reason I use the premium plan it's to download and listen music offline, if it doesn't work what reason do I have to pay an upgrade that doesn't work?

"We don't have a timeframe for a fix, but we're really glad you let us know about this." Are you sadist?

"If you have any other questions, just let us know!" Yes, when will be the next update with NEW Useless feature that will crash the app, make it slow like a turtle and not solve any issue? I'm craving for that.

Ian39

Plan: Premium

Device: Samsung Galaxy A50

Spotify version in settings: 8.9.22.539.

Updated to 8.9.24.633 still same issue

SD card: 250 GB, used space 50GB (spotify) free 195GB

Random change of storage path;

always during updates (happening from around 1 year, updates doesn't fix any issue just make it worse, slower, more crash)

sometimes during rebooting

other randomly, app turned off, phone on, app turned on, storage path changed (other apps still using the SD card without issue)

Outcome

The issue is ongoing from at least a year, it should be a priority for Spotify to fix it since it's the one of the main reason to pass to Premium account.

Ian39

Unfortunately this solution doesn't work for me (there is no option to use pin or else before restart, seems to me that it does already as default, so... nada)

Plan: Premium

Device: Samsung Galaxy A50

Spotify version in settings: 8.9.24.633

Wouldn't be possible to circumvent the issue with a forced command to "change and choose" storage folder only manually, and/or deny other folders? So that the app wouldn't virtualize its data on the internal memory every time it doesn't find the old path? or at least give a notification and an option: "Spotify hasn't find the xxx Storage, would you like to change the storage path to xxx? before we call 991, CIA, Blackwater, and a ballistic nuclear attack to your location?" because that would be nice when you are outside, in the rain, and the only comfort it's some music, THAT YOU PAID.

This would fix the problem regardless of the phone type or any external changes outside the app (phone updates/reboots, temporary change of SD card or occasional dismounting of the SD card, aka fall drops, etc)

The app should be a smart balance between automated and manual changes, manual for end user customization (settings) that should be unchangeable without direct user control.

Few more things maybe ca be helpful

1 before, several until several months ago I didn't had this issue, so it is a recent issue for me due to new updates of the app

2 no significant changes for the device, same phone with same app

3 all other apps have no issue with the SD card

4 Every possible standard solution has been done

Clean reinstall (deleting all data and cache through a PC + rebooting of the phone and new installation of Spotify

Using another SD card

To the most drastic as factory reset of the phone