Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Low volume when casting Spotify

Hello

I had been using spotify with several google home devices for a few months with no problem.

It started about 1 month ago for no reasons: I have a very low volume when casting spotify on my devices:

Harman Kardon Citation 500

Google home mini

It means when I use google assistant or any other app (tunein for radio, bluetooth on the speaker..) the volume is perfectly fine and loud. When I Switch to Spotify I have to double the volume level at least to get the same output...!

Harman Kardon support couldn't help me at all so I hope someone can give me a solution ?

I've try unplugging the speakers, factory reset... didn't work

Thank you !

PS: i'm not a native english speaker so I hope I was clear enough

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us and for all your valuable information.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
goosy073103

I too have the same problem and it seems like the only thing they can think of solving the issue is to restart the speaker or unlink the account and do it again. That does nothing and it's honestly disappointed how they can't even fix this but unfortunately I just got a premium subscription and was unwell this was a problem. If they keep ignoring what we say I'm gonna have to cancel and go with youtube music since I have no problems with that. 

wampastompa24

This problem just popped up for me today. It's very frustrating.

DennisAH

Hey Guys,

I  also have problems with low volume when casting Spotify with a built-in Chromecast of my LG Soundbar.

Soundbar model: LG DSN9YG (built-in Chromecast and Google Assistant). Firmware of the soundbar is up to date.

Firmware version soundbar: 2112010

Chromecast: 1.52.246654

Reset of the soundbar did not worked out.

When casting via the Spotify App on the LG TV volume is normal.

A friend of mine using the same soundbar is haveing the same issues while casting Spotify. When he is casting via Apple Music the volume is normal.

Is there any solution for the low volume problem when casting Spotify vie Chromecast?

Thanks, Dennis

Aruetiise

As far as I know there is still no fix. Spotify knows this Problem at least since October 2020 but it seems like Spotify is not interested in fixing the issues. I would recommend to move to another service since this bug has made Spotify basically unusable, but apparently Chromecast users are not important enough to the Spotify Development/Support team.

Julius

hendersj

I've just added an Amazon Echo to the mix here, and the volume level is similarly broken there.  So it seems to not be something specific to Google mini/home speakers.

I'm really surprised (and not really surprised) that Spotify doesn't think this is worth addressing.  I suppose if I want to listen to my music using my Echo or my Google speakers, I'll have to learn to live with the assistants shouting at me so I can hear the music I'm listening to.

Really disappointed that Spotify doesn't think this is worth addressing.  I'm almost to the point of getting used to Spotify being a source of disappointment for years before fixing things that really seriously impact the usability of their service.

DennisAH

Yes. Based on what I read here and elsewhere it is really the case that the problem is related to Spotify.

Just checked with a different music streaming platform and here it works well with Google Chromecast.

Really hope that Spotify will solve this issue otherwise there is no other solution than switching to another platform.

I don't know if Spotify may not want to solve this in order to push the hardware OEMs to integrate Spotify connect. But this is only speculation.

ChrisAhlund

Hey @Novy Any news on this issue? Should it take over two years to resolve it?

hendersj

Nope, still broken, Spotify doesn't seem to care about the end user experience.  The devs need more time to deal with more serious issues like making the time bar look like a lightsaber extending when playing a Star Wars soundtrack.

It took nearly 4 years to get the library limitation issue mitigated (10K items was the max for a playlist or in the library; tracks counted as one, and if you liked an album, it was the number of tracks + 1 for the album).  That issue had over 1500 votes IIRC.*

This one has 40.  So it'll probably be 20 years before they fix it.

In the meantime, we have to deal with volumes that are "x^2" percentages when using Spotify, regardless of whether it's a Google device or an Alexa device (I've got both and verified it on my Echo Show as well as various Google devices).  10% volume set in the app = effective 1% volume setting.  100% volume set = effective 100% volume setting.  50% volume set in the app = 25% effective volume.  It's stupid and it's wrong.  I set my volume to 30% so my assistant isn't shouting at me, and the effective volume for Spotify's music is 9%.  If I want it to actually be 30%, I need to set the volume to 54%, and my assistants are shouting at me from 2 feet away.  So I can hear my music, but everyone can hear my assistants.

Just dumb.

*ETA:  Did I say 1,500 votes on the max library size?  Just checked the thread, and it's nearly 13,000.  (Now identified as "implemented").

CoolGool

Hi! Unfortunately, I have the same problem: Spotify + Harman Kardon Citation One MKIII = very low volume. Please Spotify, fix this.

hendersj

The real irony of this issue is that I got my first Google Mini speaker as a special offer from Spotify.  So they quite literally provided me with one of the devices that they don't work properly with and now are saying "not right now" to fixing it.

Simply amazing.