Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback issues: Songs going silent on Android app

We've received reports from Android users that the progress bar of a song keeps moving but there's no sound coming out. When the app is restarted, the progress bar goes back to the point where the song went silent.

Some users noticed that the issue doesn't occur when the features below are toggled off:

• Gapless playback - found in Settings > Playback
  • Equalizer - found in Settings > Audio Quality

Hey everyone,

In case you're experiencing this issue, make sure to give it a like and provide the following info (if you haven't already):

• does the app switch to the next song or is it stuck on the current one (with the timer still counting)?
  • your device's OS version
  • the version of Spotify you're running
  • whether this occurs when playing from the mobile device directly or when connected to another device (Bluetooth, headphones, etc.)
  • the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far

Thanks! We'll pass the info on to our tech folks so they can look further into this. In the meantime, you can try the workaround of disabling Gapless playback and the Equalizer in the app's settings to see if that does the trick for you.

As always, rest assured we'll keep you posted here as soon as we have any new information to share, so Subscribe to the thread to stay tuned!

Comments
stuartharvey1981

This has started for me today after the roll out of the 5 April security update to my Pixel6.

The workaround above is working (no Gapless), but not ideal

Pixel 6, running Android 14, App version 8.9.30.433 

Steps to rectify so far:

full reinstall

cache clear

Song gets to end, doesn't move on, and keeps looking as if playing.  Will not play audio on certain songs (sometimes every other, sometimes every 3rd)

Ramonmaastricht

Spotify Premium version 8.9.24.633 on Android 14, Pixel 7 pro. Now I see it's updated to 8.9.30.433.

What has been done in between?

Porrovsky

@Ramonmaastricht 

How can they consider to increase prices if the app is not working correctly?

Easy: because we (about 300 million logis) are still paying and paying ☺️

What has been done in between [Premium version 8.9.24.633 and 8.9.30.433]

A lot of things: asked us about our Plan, our Device, our Region or Country, the OS., this, that.. oh! I almos forgot it: they asked us to update the app, change/update the OS even if our device doesn't support it, reinstall the app, don't use this, use that, deactivate some app functions (for which we're paying for, by the way), buy a new phone, etc etc etc... the usual.

I LOVE THIS GAME! 💛

sanchz

Unfortunately turning off gapless playback didn't solve the issue, it just happened again (now on version 8.9.30.433).

To add info regarding the question on the thread's status update "does the app switch to the next song or is it stuck on the current one (with the timer still counting)?" --> For me it's definitely the second. The player gets stuck on the current song and the timer keeps counting. 

@Yordan do you have any insights or updates on the internal investigation of this issue? Were you able to reproduce it? Do you have an estimate on when there might be a fix?

c1g_kt2fe-w0j

I have a Sony Xperia 5IV with Android 14 and I've been experiencing this for a few months now. My Spotify version is 8.9.30.433. 

Sometimes a new song will start and no sound is being played even though the timer is still moving forward on the song. Sometimes this happens when I pause a song and then go to resume it, it also happens if I'm on Instagram or Twitter and I'm watching a video, when the video finishes or I mute it and my music should start playing again, Spotify shows it as playing but I don't get any sound. Usually, whenever any of these things happen if I restart the song, it usually makes the sound return but it was annoying because this would happen several times a day.

However today, no sound is coming from any of my songs on Spotify even when I restart the songs. I've erased the cache, uninstalled and reinstalled the app. It was only when I restarted my phone when the sound returned but I'm sure this issue is still going to persist and get worse because this isn't the first time I've had to restart my phone for Spotify to fix itself so this will most likely be another temporary fix 

Manon88

I use spotify via google tv on my chromecast. The first song it plays normaly. Then the second it skips and from the next one I see the song progressing but no sound. Tried reinstalling on tv and on smartphone, tried to to reconnect with google home. Nothing helps. Sometimes it just works again till next time. I have the gapless replay off.

Ramonmaastricht

@Manon88 That's really odd...Chromecast plays the audio, not your phone or other device.

Have you tried to restart your Chromecast? Unplug, wait 30sec,, plug it in again.

Manon88

@Ramonmaastricht 

Yes... tried a lot and it's just chance when it's going to work.

Ramonmaastricht

@Manon88 When Spotify is playing on the Chromecast, and you switch your phone off (or put airplane mode on), what happens?

I have a tough time understanding how app and Chromecast would be related when the stream is playing. I use Chromecast too, but the stream never interrupts.

Glenngillings

Using spotify version  8.9.30.433

Android 14

One ui 6.0

Mobile app on a Samsung s22 ultra

Sound cuts out every few minutes but play bar continues. After approx 5 - 10 seconds the sound returns to the point the play bar is at.