Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone X, iPhone 8, Chromecast Audio (3 devices), Motorola MG7315 modem/router

Operating System

iOS 13

My Question or Issue

Hi. We have 3 Chromecast Audio devices on my home network connected via a single Motorola MG7315 modem/router. All devices are confirmed to be running the latest firmware. We cast Spotify from either an iPhone XR or iPhone 8 running iOS 13. We have the latest Spotify app version on our phones. All Chromecast audio devices have <60 dBm signal strength. Lately we've been having an issue where Spotify is randomly dropping the connection to the Chromecast Audio devices. It doesn't matter whether one of us is casting to a single Chromecast Audio device or group of devices. But if a group of devices is playing, they all stop together when the casting "drops." Sometimes the issue happens several times within in an hour, requiring us to reconnect the device within the Spotify app each time to resume casting. It's super frustrating! The drops seem to happen at random, and it doesn't matter which phone is casting.  The phones can be sitting untouched/locked when the casting is interrupted, so it doesn't seem like obvious app interference on iOS. We only have ~8 devices connected to the home network, and there's nothing out of the ordinary about them (e.g., a TV, a couple of iPhones, MacBooks, Chromecast Audio devices), so it's not obvious that there would be device interference. Please help with ideas! The Spotify/Chromecast Audio setup had been working really well for a couple of years before this issue started presenting itself a couple months ago. Thank you so much!

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this. We'll be marking this as NRN, as our teams have already rolled out several improvements to improve the experience reported. As we're always rolling out improvements in the app, we'd recommend making sure to keep all your devices up to speed with any updates so you won't miss the latest.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
hatobesan

Hi,

I do not know what you are doing with your updates. But you are at best very sloppy. The functionality was actually very good for the past month. But since the start of December I am getting a lot of problems with connection dropping or song pausing, etc. It is very disturbing. Hope you get this sorted out ASAP!

matt198

I can confirm it's happenning on my device.:

• Spotify 8.5.87.921
  • Chromecast Ultra
  • Google Pixel3XL
  • Android 11 Nov Security Update
  • Spotify App directly play to chromecast
Jokke

I again have systematic issues with songs pauzing and songs skipping.  Very annoying.

Spotify, can you do something about it please.

jdtemple

Spotify will not cast at all for me, from either my PC or my phones, to any of my many Chromecast devices. Other apps and services cast just fine. This started happening today. It worked fine yesterday.

I have: 

• ensured all devices are on the same Wi-Fi network
  • ensured I have the latest version of Spotify
  • rebooted Chromecast devices
  • force stopped and cleared all Spotify data from my phones
  • tried multiple phones, and one PC
  • casted YouTube music (this works just fine, please don't force me to switch to that hot piece of garbage)

I use the casting feature daily.

bofw

Same for me. As of yesterday, Spotify refuses to connect to Chromecast. It says "Connecting..." for a while, then it stops saying "Connecting..." and goes back to the menu again as if nothing happened. Rebooting phone does nothing. Updating spotify does nothing. Rebooting Chromecast does nothing. 

All other apps work fine (well, just as well as before) on Chromecast. It's just Spotify that - once again - has stopped working.

I realise that your programmers get easily bored. Buy them a ping pong table or something. Repeatedly having them break something that's working just fine just so they'll get the chance to fix it is NOT a good way to keep them paid.

alidigitaly

Covid was annoying this year, but this issue was second place..

FL3JM

I have the same problem with my Chromecast Audio as everyone else here. I wonder how many years we will have to wait for this to be resolved. 

sellotape

* Google Pixel 3XL

* Android 11 (Build RQ1A.201205.03)

* Spotify version 8.5.89.901

* Chromecast version 1.42.183786

* Connect from Spotify App 

* After 8-10 minutes, for as long as I can remember throughout 2019 and now into 2020.

I have followed steps to clear cache and reinstall the app on my phone - it didn't make any difference.

xbennet

Same here... Casting to a group used to work for a few minutes and then stop playing. However from the past 2 days, the problem starts at soon as you group cast

Cakey123445

Brand new Nest Audio, wont run for more than 10 minutes without stopping/pausing when streaming Spotify. I've rebooted, makes no difference. Runs for a few minutes then just stops, asking google to pause/play often works to get it going again. Wifi is always connected.

How can this still be an issue after this long. Its the only reason I bought the Nest Audio was for Spotify streaming.

iPhone Xs Max - iOS 14.3

iPhone Spotify App - 8.5.86.739

Nest Audio System Version - 231584

Nest Audio Cast Firmware - 1.50.231584