Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

[PS4] poor audio quality

Re: [PS4] poor audio quality

RussBird
Casual Listener

Not sure I follow.

You said "So your Marantz AV is doing the converting"

but you also said, "so the question is can the Ps4 convert 2.0 into 5.1".

Wouldn't this logic mean that the actual question is "how to make the Sony HT-AS5, recieve a 2.0 and output it to 5.1, just like the Marantz?".

I can make Spotify play out of the Sony AV across all speakers but I have to optical out with PCM. HDMI out with PCM limits to just 2 speakers.

SHADEYMAN-GB
Regular

"So your Marantz AV is doing the converting" because you said "I have a similar setup in another room in the house with a Marantz AV unit.". "In this room, if I stream spotify from an iPhone 6 via airplay the output uses all 7.1 speakers"

"so the question is can the Ps4 convert 2.0 into 5.1" in responce to the main point of this thread, poor sound quality on a PS4. Because the PS4 always outputs multi channel, it does not have Dolby Pro Logic.

Wouldn't this logic mean that the actual question is "how to make the Sony HT-AS5, recieve a 2.0 and output it to 5.1, just like the Marantz?". Yes, 100% agree. Best option is perhaps to use Dolby Pro Logic if your Sony HT-AS5 has it, which I'm pretty sure it does.

RussBird
Casual Listener
ok great thanks. I will change the sound fields around tonight to see if I can get the Sony AV to use DPL later tonight.

Thanks for your help

phesen-psl
Casual Listener

Xbox Groove has great sound quality on the Xbox One compared to Spotify on the PS4. Have both systems running through my stereo and groove kills spotify on SQ no matter how I rearange the settings and output. Really sucks because the PS4 is a better system and I was planning on putting the xbox on ebay, but now I'm on the fence... Spotify fix this...  

SHADEYMAN-GB
Regular

There's nothing to fix.

Groove max bitrate - MP3(Lossy) 320kbit/s
Spotify max bitrate - Ogg Vorbis(lossless) 320kbit/s

If you can't hear the difference its time to upgrade your sound system ...

616jsb75
Regular
It has nothing to do with the bit rate. the problem is the way spotify is
implemented on the ps4

SHADEYMAN-GB
Regular
Correct, it doesn't have anything to do with the bit rate as it's the same on both systems.

Its the format used, Ogg Vorbis is a lossless format, far superior to MP3, the difference is clear even on mediocre sound systems.

butaca
Regular
Guys, inform yourselves before posting. Ogg is a container not a format. It usually contains vorbis format and it isn't lossless.

Anyway, it doesn't matter the format used in the client (PS4, XBox, PC, etc.) because the audio is already compressed (Spotify does not stream lossless audio).

The Spotify client in PS4 as an issue and its limiting the bitrate drastically, I contacted them and they know about it and working on it. They didn't give me more details.

The low bitrate is easyky heard, with he best and worst sound systems in the world as it contains clear sound artifacts.

If you don't hear the difference, please, don't upgrade the system, train your ears.

SHADEYMAN-GB
Regular

I have a PS4 and an Xbox One, both connected via switchable TOSLink cables to my audio system. I now have no problems streaming music via Spotify on either console. However, the PS4 does sound better than the Xbox, so when I was told Ogg Vorbis was lossless like FLAC(I stand corrected) I believed it. Unlike most of you guys I don't have a surround setup anymore, my audio system is primarily used for music(2 channel) not movie and game effects(5.1 channel) although I do have 2 twelve inch KEF subwoofers to help with bass reproduction.

After a week of emails to Spotify we came to the conclusion the sound quality problem is caused by the PS4 outputing continuous 5.1 via HDMI and Optical regardless of whether the source(game, movie or music) is supplying the PS4 with only 2 channel or 5.1 channels. Obviously music is created and distrubuted in 2 channel, so Spotify stream only 2 channel. If the PS4 is connected to a surround amp it will only receive 2 channels of music, usually leaving the rear speakers and sometimes the sub void of music (sounds terrible so my AV amp is now in my cinema room where I watch more movies). As I use a Marantz music(2 channel) amp in my lounge it only needs and uses 2 channels so problem solved and it sounds great.
I'm able to monitor bandwidth on my router, the Xbox and the PS4 use about the same when streaming music via Spotify which automatically streams the highest bitrate available(320) so I find it hard to believe its somehow limiting bandwidth, plus not once did they mention there was an issue with the app.

616jsb75
Regular
To get the ps4 to output 2.0 when using hdmi, you select optical and it
will only output 2 channel over hdmi. This worked fine for music
unlimited. But spotify sounds horrible. So the ps4 outputting 5.1 with 2
channel sources is not the problem
SUGGESTED POSTS