Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problems with Windows Phone 8 and my music

Problems with Windows Phone 8 and my music

I hope someone can help me here because I want to accomplish something with my purchased music CDs.

With detail, I have a Nokia Lumia 520, I love this phone, except I am having an issue with spotify.

Albums that are not available in Spotify but still are visible (and clickable)

To be exact:

Downside Up - Siouxsie and the Banshees

US Retrace - The Creatures

Since I Left You - The Avalanches

I have tons more, but those are the ones I am focusing now.  I imported all of those with Windows Media Player into my computer.  I can find them in Spotify on PC, play them with no issue and even post about them to my FB spotify feed (perhaps one day they will be there so) 

But when I copied the music to Windows Phone,  the music doesn't appear in Spotify.  I have playlist with them and the lists are empty. Does anybody know how to do this correctly??

Spotify for my phone is great as long as I don't need to listen to a song thats not on the network.  I tried making those playlist available in offline mode and it doesn't work either.  So please help me figure this out!

Thanks,

Lil

10 Replies

Unfortunately synching local files (files you own as MP3s etc.) to WP8 with spotify is currently not supported. A revamped WP8 app is scheduled for release this Spring so it may come. I think the real issue is that MS prevent third party apps from saving files to external SD card so you may not want to clutter up your internal storage with local files anyway.

Thanks for your reply, I really can't wait for that update.  I am not worried about cluttering since most everything else I like to listen to is already in the Spotify network.   It is just a selected few.  I also don't have much of anything else in this phone anyway.

I also would love for apps to be incorporated too.  I love to use Soundrop with Spotify and it would be great if support was available soon. But when it all comes down to it, I just want the few songs I mentioned to be playable in Spotify.  Thanks.

any news on the revamped WP8 app? I am sick of WP8 being treated like a second class mobile OS. It has a big enough user base to deserve some more attention. 

I haven't seen any updates since the blog post and press announcements and Spotify tends not to give timescales but I'm sure it will be awesome when it does come.

Sluethi, I am SO with you on this!  I definitely see the issue and I know we deserve better!  I believe the app support has been dreadful when it comes to everything I've come accross.  I really hope things get better for us soon.

Whether or not we want to use local storage is up to each individual user, regardless of OS. I just signed up for a trial because it said i could use my local music and streaming music in the same app. Guess this will be the shortest trial ever...

Any new info?

check the date of the thread. The new app did launch. Yes that app they called a revamp is a shambles. 

Response to lowiie_ :

Yes of course, I have ONCE AGAIN dropped premium.  I only had it for two months before I became completely disappointed with it and decided to pay for XBox Music (Microsoft's Groove Music) instead.  I am of course sad that I can't publish my music experience in facebook but I definitely had to sacrifice that comfort when it came to getting my music in order.

What happened?  Well, to put it into words, I always thought the problem was my Nokia Lumia 521.  I upgraded my phone to a much better (Microsoft recommended) Lumia phone recently.  The Microsoft Lumia 640 which is programmed from the ground up to be 100% compatible with Microsoft apps (yes it is still made by Nokia but officially names MS Lumia).

I had chosen to do this a couple of months ago, so I decided to test both apps side by side in my old phone back then.  The Xbox Music AND the Spotify in the Lumia 521.  Very well, they both had lots of issues!  With the exception the Xbox App could play my own songs.  Spotify still CANNOT.

And it wont!... but the biggest problem I found was that EVEN after I decided to download an entire playlist it was still PAINFULLY slow to load and play songs, would crash at certain times, songs would stop playing after one or two songs played... Spotify was a disaster.

I still gave it one more chance!  I ordered my Lumia 640 and hoped the headaches would end.  Suprisingly, EVEN after a fresh install Spotify is a pain in the neck, where thus most bad issues I USED TO have with XBox music were non-existent.  There, and they cost the same.

Groove Music is a young app, the windows phone should convert to Groove Music (rather than XBox music) soon enough, I can't wait to see what's in store for us Windows Phone users.  The app in the PC needs LOTS of improvements but I do know Microsoft knows what they're doing.  I urge every Windows Phone user to give it a try.  It should sync automatically as long as you log into Microsoft on both the phone and the PC app.

Good luck!!!

Response to rkleman12:

Not much has really changed.  It does LOOK different but the issues remain the same.  This is why people keep reporting the same issues over an over, not much improvement in an antire year, such a shame.

Suggested posts