Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

Spotify can't play this right now. Why not?

Re: Spotify can't play this right now. Why not?

feralmittens
Casual Listener

Thanks, this fixed my issue.

seekrits
Casual Listener

My SOLUTION for Mac OS 10.13.3 (17D47)

I went to:

Library/Application Support/Spotify

Then deleted everything in that Spotify folder and restarted the Spotify app. It made me sign back in but everything played and worked! 

From what I've read the issue can be songs that are saved locally, either the file is corrupted or not communicating with the app.

PS: To get to the hidden library where these files are located (on Mac) click your desktop then click "GO" in the top menu. Once it drops down, hold the option/alt key and you will see Library appear, then navigate to the file path Library/Application Support/Spotify.

Hope this helps some people!

IAmNos

I've had the same issue, but the fix I found was to go to the dreadful Microsoft Store and download the spotify application from there after uninstalling your current Spotify application. Or if you already use the Microsoft Store version, try doing the opposite and download the installer from their website.

trucking172000
Casual Listener

I did all that and still not playing It's saying need ever stored locally I tried that on my phone and it still would not play Spotify needs to fix this Immediately 

spot.PNG

myothername

I had that issue earlier, and I found - weirdly - that favouriting the song made it play. I could safely un-favourite it afterwards and it still worked. I have no idea why that would help, but if you're still not having any luck it might be worth a shot.

lylesambrook
Casual Listener

Begun to notice this problem from today, however it could of been since last update on Saturday. All songs on 2 of my playlist are greyed out with the can't play right now message, plus a few on my other playlists. Even songs that are not local files. This is only on my Mac, on my HP laptop and my iPhone it works as normal no problem. What on earth has gone on here? I've tried reinstalling and deleting the Library files.

mari3_3

My solution was to restart my computer...logining in and out of spotify wont cut it.  You have to completely restart computer and then it works.  It sucks but thats the only solution that works for me on my work computer and my laptop.

jasonxjiang

on moblie there is a setting to filter explict music )im not sure if pc has) it but if it is on it causes spotify to not play the song if it is explict if you try to manually play it

jaba23

I'm having the same problems on my Mac. Try restarting and didn't work.

@seekrits@seekrits wrote:

My SOLUTION for Mac OS 10.13.3 (17D47)

I went to:

Library/Application Support/Spotify

Then deleted everything in that Spotify folder and restarted the Spotify app. It made me sign back in but everything played and worked! 

From what I've read the issue can be songs that are saved locally, either the file is corrupted or not communicating with the app.

PS: To get to the hidden library where these files are located (on Mac) click your desktop then click "GO" in the top menu. Once it drops down, hold the option/alt key and you will see Library appear, then navigate to the file path Library/Application Support/Spotify.

Hope this helps some people!

With this solution, do you suggest DELETING everything inside the Spotify folder? I have I have 3 folders: PersistentCache, User Data, and Users.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 9.04.01 AM.png

Wizard_Amul

To this method that myothername recommended: "favouriting the song made it play. I could safely un-favourite it afterwards and it still worked."

It's strange that this works, but it just worked for me. Thanks!

SUGGESTED POSTS