Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add Spotify Radio to SONOS, please!

Solved!

Add Spotify Radio to SONOS, please!

Spotify, please provide SONOS with the ability to support Spotify Radio. 

From the SONOS community:

John M, an employee of Sonos, replied to Add Spotify radios to Sonos !!!, an idea about Sonos.

Thank you everyone for the responses and feedback. Please let me assure you that this item is still under consideration by Sonos and that we are committed to providing a world-class Spotify experience on Sonos.

Spotify Radio was originally introduced as a Spotify App on the desktop Spotify client before being made available to the mobile app versions. Spotify Apps are small applications written within the Spotify platform and are not made available to third-party platforms like Sonos at this time. Spotify does not yet provide us with the ability to support Spotify Radio. We understand that this is a top feature request from the Sonos-Spotify community and are in discussions with Spotify on possible future implementation.

If you feel strongly about the Spotify Radio feature on Sonos, be sure to add your comments to the Spotify community, in addition to this topic here. Like Sonos, Spotify is a company that greatly values the opinions and feedback of their user community. 

177 Replies

Looking at Rdio myself. If it works I will be cancelling my Spotify membership. I just wonder if the Sonos user base is too small for Spotify to care.

I think it's a game of chicken.  Spotify only wants to offer Radio via Spotify Connect.

SONOS is willing to hold out and not pay licensing fees to one provider (Spotify) because if they do, then every service will start asking for money.  SONOS knows they may lose a few sales but in the long run will retain their business model.  Besides, it's much easier to change streaming services (now that so many have equivalent catalogs) than hardware systems.  

Spotify is willing to hold out, because they are convincing so many other people to pay licensing fees to implement Spotify Connect -- this is another leverage point with SONOS.

It's hard to see how Spotify wins this one, but I think you may be on to something, Coolawnz:  Spotify can afford to play hardball. All they might lose is Sonos users, which is small enough they can accept.  But if they win, they will be able to play the same tactic with ever other hardware vendor, essentially increasing their revenue stream in a way that doesn't require paying some of it out to artists.

As SONOS users, we are caught in the middle.  I don't feel the need to wait around, however, because of the alternatives. 

I just cancelled my 3 spotify premium accounts also, 2 years of waiting (i'm not waiting that long) gives a pretty good idea on when they are going to fix it 😉 I'm paying a premium subscription for my spotify sonos account and I can't even use the premium features?! (I use one account soley for sonos).

Switched to Google All Access, and have to say, the radio does work and I can use one account for the rest of the family. The only thing that isn't working is adding a song to a playlist on google from the sonos system. But I can live with that.

I can also send directly to sonos from my google app on my android device, without using the sonos app.

So thanks Spotify for not implementing it, you redirected me after 3+ years to another streaming service, which right now beats you hands down!

Hopefully they will implement it in the future, maybe i'm changing back, but I'm not counting on it.

I had Mog, which was great, and then tried out both Spotify and Beats.  Beats sucks; they dropped the radio w/ slider (which was the best of any of the providers and Beats has a pitiful desktop app).  Spotify was a major disappointment with it's archaic playlist editing and overall general functionality.  I'm giving Google All Access a try now.  Two things I like:  1) Radio with ability to thumbs up/thumbs down (similar to Pandora); 2) Radio available on Sonos.

I'm not thrilled about giving my business to Google, but Spotify and Beats didn't provide what I was looking for.  If they do, I'll give them another try.

I am a Pandora user and the only reason I upgraded to Spotify Premium was to have a better "Spotify Radio" experience. What a surprise when I couldn't get it. I will drop the premium until this changes.

Since posting on this a few months ago, I have now gone with Google Play Music (all access).  Get radio function on Sonos which is what i was looking to make the most of.  I'd highly recommend Google Play - the only thing they need to sort out is an app for tablets - i use an ipad and have to put up with phone app rendered on ipad screen.   I mainly listen via Sonos so not a huge issue.

I still have Spotify as this is part of my phone contract - i won't be paying for 2 servcies when this runs out though, so unless Spotify radio is available on Sonos by then, it won't be a hard decision.

I was just about to sign up for Spotfiy Premium for my Sonos system, then read that Spotify Radio is not avialble through Sonos's so this makes it a deal killer for me. I hope Spotify can work this out someday. 

@ns71 - my situation exactly.  Literally just this AM signed up for Google Play Music, so I can enjoy "radio" on my Sonos system (6 zones scattered around my home).  I've still got 2 months promo remaining on my Spotify account, but I'm not holding out hope...

2014-07-24 09:22 PDT Update:  Subscription cancelled.  My last post here.  Look for me over @ Google Play Music...

Well, I've waited long enough: I've cancelled my Spotify subscription. I've paid for extra features, such as Radio; if Spotify refuses to allow me to use them on Sonos, then so long. Google Music works just fine, thanks.

Ive to just cancelled my spotify premium account. 

See ya'll over at google music.

Cancelled my Spotify premium too. Go google play radio!!!

I have cancelled my premium subscription to spotify until this is sorted. It's a major shortfall in the otherwise great service

......and I have signed up for Google Play which DOES have a good radio function

Sonos guys, please add the 'start radio' button to Spotify inside Sonos.
How can we ensure you put this into the next release?
Please hurry up.
Thanks

frolandus,

The SONOS guys would love to have a radio button, but Spotify is not permitting it.  If they update their API and SDK, then it can be done very quickly.

If Spotify does not support this soon I am going to have to cancel my subscription. I use my sinks everyday. Will move to feeder or back to pandora

I want Spotify Radio on Sonos!

This has gone on too long.

I signed up Spotify assuming it was fully functional with Sonos. If it does not happen by March 2015 I will cancel Spotify. Now go to work.

Sonos is the reason I upgraded to Premium. Now I find out that the radio feature doesn't work well that is the function I use the most. I don't want to listen to music thru my tinny iPad Please support Sonis and give us full functions.

Today I ordered Google Play Music.
Will test with Sonos. Radio function seems to work.
If Google music catalogue can compete to Spotify - I will quit. Sorry Spotify. Get Radio on Sonos running!

Suggested posts