Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App won’t launch on Roku. Stuck on black screen.

App won’t launch on Roku. Stuck on black screen.

I have a Roku device connected to my TV. I have been using the Spotify app on it for a long time. All of a sudden one day it can’t launch the app. I click and it shows the Spotify logo and then all I can see is a black screen. I have restarted my Roku device and uninstalled and reinstalled the Spotify app. It’s still not working and all of the other apps work perfectly fine so it is not my Roku device that is at fault.
Top Answer
OscarDC

Hey folks,

Thank you for your patience.

In recent updates, some known issues have been successfully fixed. We want to confirm if this is still an issue for any of you, and in case you're having it, include in your next response the following info to continue investigating:

• The exact makes, models and OS/Firmware versions of all your affected devices
  • The exact Spotify version you use.
  • Is this on all devices or only on specific one(s)?
  • Screenshots or a video of the behavior

We appreciate your patience and cooperation. We'll be on the lookout.

33 Replies

same issue here 

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you please provide us the following:

• The exact makes, models and OS/Firmware versions of all your affected devices
  • The exact Spotify Versions you use.
  • When did this start happening?
  • Is this on all devices or only on specific one(s)?
  • Screenshots or a video of the behaviour

With this information, we’d be happy to investigate.

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same problem here. Roku is model 3700x Roku express, software is 11.5.0. I noticed yesterday. I only have one device.

I updated software on both Roku and app, deleted app and shutdown Roku. Cleared cache and reloaded app. Still did not work. Internet connection says excellent.

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome. 

In this case, can you check if you have some firmware updates pending for your Roku device? If yes, try to update them to see if you notice any difference.

On another note, @cjcvance, @alyssamullin, did you try reinstalling the app on your devices to check if you notice any difference? You can uninstall the app, restart the device, and then install the Spotify app again. Give it a try and let us know how if goes.

Lastly, if the inconvenience persists, make sure to send us all the details @Joan mentioned above, so we can continue looking into this more thoroughly.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

AlejaR and others,

I have the same issue with my Roku 3700X that started about two-three weeks ago. Everything else works on the Roku except Spotify.  I now get a black screen immediately after Spotify logo appears for a couple of seconds.  

Spotify version 2.10.21R,    Roku version 11.5.0  Build 4312.28.

This is not a problem with my connected devices as my Roku Stick works perfectly when I switch the 3700X for the stick. The stick gets Spotify perfectly.

Has Spotify dropped support for this Roku device?  It would be a shame as nothing has been posted on the site.

Thanks in advance,

Rossco

hi thanks for the response, your help is very appreciated. the app was reinstalled, all devices were restarted/logged out i have tried almost everything under the sun. i don't think that is the issue. 

Want to add that I am dealing with the same issue.  3700x Roku Express, Software version 11.5.0-build 4312-28.  App is Spotify Music version 2.10-build 21.  Have done everything short of factory resetting the Roku device itself.  Checked for Roku and Spotify software updates (there are none).

Most recently effort to fix it included, 1) deleting Spotify app, 2) clearing the Roku cache which forces a restart of the device, 3) unplugging Roku from power for over 2 minutes, 4) powering up Roku and reinstalling Spotify, 5) finding that doing all this gives me the same error.  Incredibly frustrating!  Spotify logo flashes, then TV goes to a black screen.  Can click the 'home' button on the remote to return to the home screen.  If no buttons are pushed, after some time (IDK maybe 3-5 minutes) the Roku goes into it's screen saver mode and clicking a button takes you back to the home screen.

Hey folks,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info shared.

To continue investigating this case, would you mind checking if using another Wi-Fi network makes any difference? In case you don't have another network available, you can use a mobile data hotspot to check this.

We appreciate your patience and cooperation in reporting this issue.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

I have same problem with same version and compilation. Also, execute same steps (uninstall, reinstall, turn-off and unplug my roku) and after appear Spotify logo, the screen turn black.

Hey there @paojuarez

Thanks for getting in touch about this and welcome to the Community. 

In this case, would you mind checking if the same happens while using a different internet connection as @OscarDC suggested previously? 

On another note, we'd like to know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update. 

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni!

Yes, I tried using a different internet connection, but same happen. Only black screen.

The problem is, I don't know is this happened after an app or roku device update, because I configured my device with automatic update

I’ve also been having the same issue as everyone else for about a month, and tried all the same steps as everyone above to fix it. 

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your replies. 

In this case, would you mind sending us the info @Joan asked for previously? We'd also like to know what troubleshooting steps you've already tried. 

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

When I click on the app it just shows a blank screen. I tried updating app and roku.

Further to my earlier post, and in response to your question above, the only possible change that occurred just before this happened was my electing to create a Duo sharing plan from my early single account.  But this would not seem to make a difference because as I said earlier, my Roku Stick and other Roku devices on the same network work fine with Spotify.

So dozens have the problem.  Same advice for everyone, doesn't seem to be working for anyone.  We have the same problem with the streaming stick.  However it does work on the Ultra thing.  Ours stopped working in early January, too.  What is going on?

Hello! 

Mine just started this today as well. I have done everything suggested in this thread. I did everything another thred I found suggested which had 12 methods to try and nothing. Earlier I was able to get it to work but no pictures were loading on playlists. I exited out and have not been able to get back on since. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for your input.

We've forwarded this to the relevant team for further investigation. We'll let you know in this thread once we have any updates.

Cheers,

MihailYModerator

Suggested posts