Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't resume music from the last played position while using voice commands on Amazon and Google

Can't resume music from the last played position while using voice commands on Amazon and Google

Hello everyone,

We've received reports that users been having a problem with albums/playlists resuming from their last played position while using voice commands on Amazon and Google devices.

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂
48 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Samsung S21, Amazon Echo, Google Home Mini

I am having a problem with albums/playlists resuming from their last played position when I use voice commands on Amazon and Google devices.

This follows an app update earlier this week to version 8.6.94.306.

Beforehand, if I were to say, "Alexa, play Spotify," I would expect music to start playing from the last played point in a song. This would be a seamless transition, so I could move from listening on my phone to listening on my Alexa device without missing any of the song.

Now, the same command will resume playing from the start of the playlist/album, regardless of how far through I am. The command is also disregarding any sorting I do of the playlist, meaning that it always starts from the track at the top, even though I sort and listen based on most recently added.

I have reinstalled the app, cleared the cache, and checked phone settings. I cannot see anything wrong my end, and it appears to be something to do with how the information moves between Spotify and the device (both Google and Amazon).

I have the exact same issue

Hi @markhadley2,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about this. 

We'd like to keep narrowing this down, so could you confirm if the same happens if you manually change the output device from your phone using the Connect feature? 

Also, can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists?

Let us know how this goes!

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It isn't a problem if I use my phone (for example). Only when I use voice
commands.

Hello, 

I am also having the same issue. Only using Google products (plus Samsung phone) and syncing across my devices appears to be the issue. I assumed it was a Google issue until I read the message above which mentions an Alexa device. 

It seems that my Spotify account is not syncing across any device anymore.

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Google Home Max, Google Nest Audio.

My Question or Issue

Don't know if this is the right category but it only seemed to be a few to choose from, so feel free to move it if it's wrong. I have a google home speakers that I use every day. Not sure if this is a spotify problem or google problem.

1 or 2 weeks ago I could play music from my phone for example and if I told google to play music from my speakers it would connect and continue where it left off. Now for some reason, if I do the same thing it starts the playlist that I was listening to from the start and turns off shuffle. I've tried different voice commands but it doesn't help.

Anyone else that recognize the problem? I hope it fixes itself as it was really easy to just tell google to play something and continue where I was without having to tell it to shuffle every time just so it wouldn't start from the top.

Hey folks!

Thanks for your replies. 

First up, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. 

If this doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you unlink and then re-link your Spotify account with your Alexa account following the steps here.

Lastly, we'd recommend trying again with a different internet connection to check if that makes any difference.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey @Frag,

Thanks for posting here.

Could you share with us if the same thing happens when you try logging in to another account on your phone and then using Google Assistant?

In case you've already tried this or some additional troubleshooting steps, let us know. That will help us get a better overview on the matter. 

You can also send us a video recording of the issue. We'll look into this further.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

Hi Eni,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'try a different internet connection'.

I have reset my router with no luck. I'm (obviously) unwilling to move internet provider and/or the address I keep my devices in. Is there something in between these you had in mind?

Do you mean another google account on the phone or another spotify account on the phone?

None of these solutions have worked for me.

Plan

Premium ( Family )

Country

Ireland

Device

Alexa Devices

Operating System

My Question or Issue

For two weeks everytime I stop an album or playlist on alexa, when i return to play  the album or playlist always return to the first song. I've multiple Alexa devices and happens on all of them.

This is a recent development. 

The options offered didn't work for me either.

I can't try another internet connection unfortunately. 

Hey there @Frag,

Thank you for the prompt response.

The suggestion of @Ver was about logging to another Spotify account (maybe of a friend or a relative) to see if it will work as expected with the G-Assistant. We're asking this, so we can rule out if this is an issue connected to your account specifically. Also by sending a short video of the situation, you'd help us look closer in the situation and advise you better 🙂

Hope this helps clarify things. Keep us posted, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Kiril Moderator

Hello everyone,

Thank you for reporting this to us.

You can leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates regarding this.

Could you provide us with the following info:

Once we have that, we will pass it on to the relevant team, who will look further into it.

Thanks!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

For me, it's

Device + OS version: Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra + Android Version 12

Exact Spotify version: 8.6.96.422

I've attached a video.

I say: "Hey google, spela musik på mother base" ("Hey google, play music on mother base").

Mother base is what I named my apartment in google home and this exact voice command have always worked until 2 weeks ago. As you can see, I'm playing music on my PC and then when I say the command it turns off suffle and starts playing the same playlist from the top instead of continuing the song I was playing.

I'm going to see if I can try with a friends account as soon as possible.

I've had the same issue for 3 days using a Samsung S10, android 11 - 8.6.96.422 

Also iPhone xr on ios 15.2.1 - 8.6.96.591

Both connecting to different Amazon devices on different networks and with different Spotify accounts

Have tried restarting all the devices.

Any playlist set to shuffle on phone with tracks queued go back to the start of the playlist with shuffle off.

Ps. Also just noticed that after telling Alexa to stop, my phone is still connected to it, instead of reverting back to 'this phone'

Hi @Frag,

Thank you for keeping in touch and sharing that video. 

We'd also like to confirm if the issue is also happening when you're playing the music from your phone and switch it to the Google Home. 

Lastly, please let us know if you were able to use your friend's account and if there was a difference with it.

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Suggested posts