Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't sync Local Files to iPhone - keeps appearing and disappearing in Devices

Can't sync Local Files to iPhone - keeps appearing and disappearing in Devices

Hi!

I've been having this problem for a few weeks now, all of a sudden my Spotify (Macbook) has stopped connecting to my iPhone Spotify. The device appears in the Mac version but disappears a second after, and continues to do this, connected, disconnected, connected, disconnected. Because of this I can't sync local files.

I've tried disabling firewalls, trying different wi-fi networks, manually choosing IP addresses, and nothing works. Any help?

Thanks!

15 Replies

Can you just check that UPnP is enabled in the router settings. Sometimes a soft reset of the iphone (hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo) can kick things back to life.

Hi!

Yup, UPnP is enabled and a soft reset did nothing I'm afraid! Thanks anyway! c:

Do you have any extra security software or firewalls running on your Mac?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Nope, nothing like that. I've even disabled the firewall from system settings and no luck. It's just bizarre. My iPhone Spotify connects to our WiFi. My Mac Spotify connects to our WiFi. But they just won't connect together. Well, they DO connect, they find each other but only for a split second before disconnecting over and over.

I could try and catch a video of it if it would help, but it would just be my Mac Spotify finding my device and then losing it over and over aha.

Could you open the console output on your Mac Spotify and see if any errors are being logged?
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-Crashes-when-Adding-music-to-Play...

Peter

Hi, yeah it just does this endlessly. Socket Error might have something to do with it?

Screen shot 2014-06-13 at 13.54.59.png

@Peter will probably understand all that technical stuff but it almost looks like your iphone IP address keeps changing and I was wondering if assigning a fixed IP to the iphone in your router settings might help?

Good idea! But unfortunately didn't work, I assigned a static IP to both my iPhone and my Mac and no such luck, I get the exact same messages in my console haha.

Just had a thought. IP addresses in the range 12.xx.xx.xx. are normally reserved for large scale networks and not home users which seems odd. Hopefuly @Peter__ will have some ideas.

Where at the IP addresses in the client logs, they look more like time stamps to me. 😉

Having a quick google, Socket Error 54 generally seems to mean Connection Reset by Peer which would point to the iPhone closing the connection for some reason.

What version of iOS and Spotify is running on your iPhone? Do you really have 152k local files or is that number something else too?

Peter

@Peter wrote:

Where at the IP addresses in the client logs, they look more like time stamps to me. 😉 

Duh there we go - I knew you'd have all the answers 🙂

I'm running the latest iOS and the latest version of Spotify!

And yeah that's another thing, for as long as I've known Spotify thinks there's hundreds, sometimes thousands of the same song in my Local Files? Like, I included a screenshot and apparently I've used 935GB.. but my Mac only holds 500GB aha! There's no way I have even ONE GB of music in my Local Files!

Screen shot 2014-06-13 at 21.52.17.png
Screen shot 2014-06-13 at 21.52.34.png

What local files sources do you have selected in Spotify Preferences?

Peter

iTunes, Music and Downloads were ticked.

I unticked them all and now everything is working fine haha. Maybe Spotify was getting confused as to which version it was trying to sync over and just gave up? No idea but yeah everything is synched now and working, thanks everyone! Shame it couldn't be more conclusive if this problem arises again but hey ho! 😄

Glad it is working! 😄

Peter

Suggested posts