Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I turn off recommendations?

Solved!

How do I turn off recommendations?

I want to listen to my playlist, not Spotify's recommendations.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The sentence "It's not possible to remove them as this is part of how free accounts work, and we really appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback." seems to explain the situation, although I don't recall seeing suggestions in the few years that I have been using Spotify.  I can only hope that at some time in the future, a setting will be made available to allow or disallow suggestions.  Thank you. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey @dave6592-us,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

Just to confirm, are you using our free service or is your account Premium? Keep in mind that the free experience on mobile is different; the app adds suggested tracks within the same album/playlist. Keep in mind that our free experience on mobile is different: music on-demand is a Premium feature. Remember that the desktop app for free users works differently than the app on the phone. You can read more about the free experience on mobile here.

If your account is on the Premium tier, you can check different options to not receive any kind of recommendation when playing specific playlists:

• Make sure the Autoplay is not enabled. You can disable this feature in the app's settings.
  • Check if the smart shuffle feature is not enabled. You can learn how to use this feature here.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, we're always a post away.

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thank you for responding.

I am using the so-called "free" app on my iPhone but I "pay" by
listening to commercial announcements.

Autoplay is OFF.

I cannot find a setting for "smart shuffle" which, as I understand it, I
don't have since I do not have "premium." I also do not see anything
called "enhance."

I have always used (and enjoy) the shuffle feature and it worked GREAT
until this doggone "recommendations" algorithm started.

I cannot understand why Spotify does not have a setting to "enable" or
"disable" playing recommendations. Some people WANT recommendations, I
do NOT.

Hey @dave6592-us,

Thanks for your reply.

In this case, as mentioned above and since you let us know you're using a free account, keep in mind that the free experience on mobile is different; the app adds suggested tracks within the same album/playlist. That being said, it's expected that the recommendations you're seeing at the moment are different from Autoplay. It's not possible to remove them as this is part of how free accounts work, and we really appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback.

On another note and just to clarify, Smart Shuffle is a Premium feature and is possible to find when your account is on Premium service. Since you kindly confirmed your account is on free service, it's expected not to see it.

We'll be here if anything else comes up. Once again, thanks for the feedback.

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Marked as solution

The sentence "It's not possible to remove them as this is part of how free accounts work, and we really appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback." seems to explain the situation, although I don't recall seeing suggestions in the few years that I have been using Spotify.  I can only hope that at some time in the future, a setting will be made available to allow or disallow suggestions.  Thank you. 

How about when I pay for premium and most of the things shown on the main page of the player is stuff I never want to listen too? I can't seem to tell Spotify that I'm not a 13 year old girl so NO I don't want to listen to Taylor Swift, and every other terrible suggestion that would not be suggested based on what I listen too.
There is an "Include in my taste profile" but not an "I never want to listen this or see this again"

But all the years that spotify has been around they still haven't figured out how to exclude a song that I don't want to listen too. Again I can like something but I can't dislike it, and even when I go on my phone to try and do this, because for some reason you can't do it on anything but a phone, it is still played repeatedly. Because of this "feature" I don't dare listen to Polyphia or ABC comes up, and my ears start to bleed from the awfulness of that song. So I miss out on all of their good songs, because of a few bad apples.

Be better Spotify!

I have more than 15+ songs on my playlist. However, I still get suggested songs. This is a relenting issue that i’ve had problems with for 2 years. Is this an issue caused by having a free account, or using a mobile device? Please let me know, thank you.

Suggested posts