Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Long Song Names - How to read??

Long Song Names - How to read??

Hi,

Is it actually impossible to view long song names without playing each one in turn and viewing it? See attached picture for an example. Doesn’t crop up frequently but very annoying. 

Thanks

A7984448-F9F6-4411-8FF1-E5F4139361CC.png
Top Answer
Kiril

Hi @HarryESHall,

Thank you for posting in the Community! We've moved your post to a relevant Help Board where it fits better.

I can see where you're coming from and how this could be a bit annoying when having really long titles of certain songs/shows. However, at the moment this is an expected situation, as every device has different screen size and display resolution, hence the visual experience across platforms differs as it depends on the aforementioned factors.

Our app tries to provide you with the full title (as it's creator intended), but as I said the limitations come from the displaying capabilities of the particular device. For example on my mobile device's screen (which is 6.21 inches) I see even less characters than you for the same titles you sent in the screenshot. On desktop however, you can see the full titles if your app is launched in full screen mode. So to sum this up,  at the moment you can observe the full name of an entry on a device that has the necessary screen size and resolution. For all other cases you can look at the now playing bar, where longer titles roll back in a ticker display fashion and so you can read them in full from there.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

35 Replies

Bumping the thread. Spotify people, those responses are unfortunately not helpful at all and they solve nothing. Listening to the classical music is incredible pain in the ass because of this. Please implement a solution.

Apple has solved this problem by wrapping the classical track names. 

When will Spotify make this obvious fix that people have been clamoring for?

Me Too

This is a major issue and should be extremely easy to fix. Shouldn’t have to hit play on a track (disrupting queue) just for complete information. Just have the text wrap when you click info; should take a junior dev about 30 minutes. Please fix ASAP - for something so incredibly simple to resolve, it’s really crazy that it’s been several years. Not a big ask for a classical music fan to know what piece of music they are clicking on. 

30 minutes effort at $100/hr = $50 cost on your end.

This affects all classical music fans. If you have just 150 subscribers that are classical fans, they pay for this work in 1 day (150 * $10monthsub/30 = $50)

Also having this issue please address

What exactly is stopping spotify from introducing a feature where you can hover over the name on desktop and it will show you a banner with the full name? The scrolling is extremely slow which is actively frustrating and not a good user experience. On mobile, you could allow users to swipe left to change which part of the name they view when you press the elipses next to a song and view the name along with options (add to playlist, hide song, etc.). This is a totally solvable problem and it effects a huge portion of spotify's user base. Literally could retain tons of classical music listeners by implementing a fix that is probably a weeks worth of work max.

Same problem here. Please, provide a solution!

The solution is so simple: just break the line. function before form, please. It's so annoying for people who listen to classical music, because the titles are often long. This is one of the things that make Spotify unsuitable for classical music.

Bumping for a solution to this problem. Apart from classical music, some albums of ancient music feature titles listing the instruments used in each track, which titles are therefore necessarily very long.

What is happening?! This subset of music is free from copyright impingement so it must be a pretty decent source of revenue! I HATE IT! Just let it be in the info screen or something?! Anything really. Even if I gotta click a couple extra times on t

hamburgers or mayonnaise or shvatever the heck. Jeez ma knees. 

Just chiming in to say that I too would greatly appreciate some sort of feature to read long song titles without having to play and wait for scrolling. 

yea just like… make a pop up box. there’s already a menu button to the right of the song for gods sake!

You say you “try to avoid Spotify” because of this. Have you found an alternative? I’m thinking about cancelling my Spotify because of this limitation and taking advantage of the Amazon Unlimited free 3 month offer. It’s better, but they have the “cannot easily remove currently playing track from playlist” annoyance that I find equally exasperating. Looking at Presto but it’s solely classical. Might give Tidal another look. 

Same problem here and there. Please fix this, already?

waiting for the name to come in every time makes me crazy.

Please listen to your customer. 

Kiril's original reply is completely typical of dismissive and patronizing UI feature management - 'you are luck the EU has an industry leading internet product - take it or leave it'.

It is very hard to believe a competent engineer cannot devise a hovering caption feature like those on more user-friendly first-tier apps (Google maps, etc., etc.). Can't you break off a few hundred thousand and fix this, Spotify?

Suggested posts