Playlists Default to Radio of Playlist Instead of Playing

QuinnRedfield
Casual Listener

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC - an old school tower (issue does not happen on my Android Phone)

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Nearly every time I hit play on a playlist when using my desktop, it automatically plays the "playlist radio" instead of the playlist. I like having the radio option turned on for playing new songs AFTER my playlist has ended, but this jumps straight into the radio - often not even playing more than one song from my actual playlist. 

If I go back in to the playlist (the same way I selected it the first time) and hit play again on the first song in my playlist, usually it will then play the actual playlist instead of the radio version, but not always. 

When I hit play on a playlist on my phone, it works fine. My playlist is played in the order I arranged it every time. 

What setting do I need to change to get this to stop? Or is it a bug?

Granted, I haven't listened on my desktop in awhile now, but I remember it working just fine last year or the year before. What has changed?

45 Replies

Ver

Hey @bfgdfgfgnghndtj,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

You mentioned that this happens so far with only one playlist- could you send us the URI of the playlist?

Just to double-check- does this happen when the shuffle mode is on/off or both?

You can also send us a screenshot of the queue. We'll look into this further.

Keep us posted.

VerModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." ―Zig Ziglar

Axist
Regular

Been having this issue for about a year now. Can't believe I havent reached out before now. This has been silently driving me nuts.. I guess the final straw was when I had the absolute perfect song come on when I hit shuffle in a 400 song playlist and it switched to radio 5 seconds in. It's happened with three different phones I've used but never with desktop. Currently happening with my galaxy S21 ultra. This has been driving me crazy for a LONG time. 

Kelbaez
Casual Listener

Im also having the same issue and I do agree it started about a year ago.

I only use spotify on my android app, most times connected to my car BT. It happens with any playlist at random. Usually the first time I open and play the playlist in shuffle it would play 1-2 seconds of a song and them jump to playing radio based on playlist.

It is really annoying and frustrating as I setup my audio before driving to then have to stop again to pickup my phone and play what I actually intended in the first place..

And NO and reinstall didn't fix anything.

CarlosE

Hey @Axist and @Kelbaez 

Thanks for reaching out.

Can you confirm if this is only happening when connected to a car via Bluetooth, or if it also happens when listening directly on the phone's speakers or with headphones? Is there any change when the Offline mode is enabled?

@Axist, does it happen with any playlist or just one(s) in particular? 

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

xxmattfxx

The only time this happens for me is when I am using Wireless Android Auto.

Happens on Android 11 and now Android 12.

The first song of the "shuffle" will start playing and then stop and switch to the artist's radio.

The only way to fix this is to got back a page and hit shuffle again, or pull my phone out of my pocket where it doesn't have this problem.  Both options are exactly what I don't need to be doing while driving.

This is a major safety issue and it's resolution needs to be a priority, instead of 3 pages deep in the post and on the backburner.

Kelbaez
Casual Listener

It took me a minute to be able to capture the issue on video, even though it happens often its not everytime. Please see the attached video as confirmation. Notice how after I press the shuffle play button a song starts playing and changes after about 2 seconds to the playing radio based on list...

SUGGESTED POSTS