Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Samsung Smart TV - Spotify app freezes at startup

Solved!

Samsung Smart TV - Spotify app freezes at startup

Hi,

Since june / july 2014 my Spotify app won´t start, the app freezes at the startup screen picture (With the half spotify logo on a grey background). I'm not receiving any error messages or codes, nothing it just freezes.

Everything's up to dates in terms of firmware/software. My Samsung TV (Type UE46F6475) is running the latest firmware (latest updated 2014-10-14) and the installed Spotify app is also up to date. The app is no longer possible to uninstall and then reinstall as it nowadays seems to be integrated to the Samsung firmware.

Any suggestions? Please help me find a solution to this!

Best regards, Simon.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi again.

Solved this one by my own. Since i could not reinstall the malfunctioning spotify app I did a factory reset on my Smart TV to give me a chance to re-enter my username and password. It worked like a charm!

Still do not know what the initial problem was, but it could be related to my big library of playlists and folders with playlists.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I purchased a Samsung Smart TV at the end of 2016 and these same issues are happening with me. It is time-suck; having to figure out how to reset the TV to login, let alone trying to figure out why it is freezing. It's not the end of the world, but it is a bummer and will force me to explore other apps for music being played through my new TV.

Marked as solution

The app on my Samsung, purchased 2016, is "frozen" while loading profile. Never resolves. Respectfully speaking, setting one's TV to factory resets to solve the problem is NOT a solution to the problem. I am pretty sure lots of stuff on the TV also gets reset and no one wants to reset all that. No, the solution is for Samsung and Spotify to work together and create a worthy product. I would expect Spotify to care about this. As it is, I cannot listen to Spotify through my TV and sound system. So I listen to Pandora. SPOTIFY, are you listening.  And my Spotify profile and playlists are VERY basic. 

62 Replies

Do you have any playlist folders?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hello Peter, thanks for your reply.

Yes I had, a lot of them! (They were stacking up since I have been using spotify since it´s launch in Sweden)

Removed all folders but the problem still exists. (Spotify was restarted on my computer before I tried launching the app on the TV)

Any more fixes that might help?

Hey Jolly!

Sorry you're having this problem.

Does the app crash after freezing, or does it just stay stuck on the TV screen?

Do you have a very large Spotify catalogue collection?

Hey!
Yes I had a lot of playlists, did a real cleanup today so now I´m on 13 playlists in total. Unfortunately the problem refuses to go away.

The app is stuck at the login screen (half spotify logo on grey background). The TV is still working since I can change volume etc. The only way to get rid of the unsuccessfully loaded app is to turn the TV of and on again.

I'm grateful for all the help I can get!

Marked as solution

Hi again.

Solved this one by my own. Since i could not reinstall the malfunctioning spotify app I did a factory reset on my Smart TV to give me a chance to re-enter my username and password. It worked like a charm!

Still do not know what the initial problem was, but it could be related to my big library of playlists and folders with playlists.

Great solution!worked for me.Thanks.

I seem to have stumpled upon the reason why this happens.

I resently moved from USA to Denmark and thus had to change some subscription details. The first time I tried to login, I got an error telling me that I needed to update my profile. After I had updated my profile I had the same problem with the app just freezing on the login screen without any error code. I don't want to reset my entire TV just to fix this, so I hope for an update soon.

how can i do that? where do i have to access to erase my settings? i have the same spotify problem, 🙂

Marked as solution

I purchased a Samsung Smart TV at the end of 2016 and these same issues are happening with me. It is time-suck; having to figure out how to reset the TV to login, let alone trying to figure out why it is freezing. It's not the end of the world, but it is a bummer and will force me to explore other apps for music being played through my new TV.

If there is a solution, I hope to hear of it...

Me too. Suddenly Spotify just sits there on the three dots screen. Samsung's answer? Reset your TV? Really? I have to resetup my TV every time an app provider gets some change? REALLY lame.

I spent a TON of money for our new house buying TWO 8000 series TVs. Have had nothing but constant trouble with them. Really disappointed. This Spotify issue, Voice sync issues constantly on external HDMI sources, skipping sound on external HDMI sources (Samsung BluRay player and Fire TV 4k version, etc.). REALLY wish I would have looked at something else at this point as Samsung doesn't respond quickly.

That external HDMI box thing just seems like a bad idea. My cheapo Sanyo that is six years old has better performance and zero problems.

I love the features, but come on Samsung. This isn't hit or miss. These things are happening to lots of people. I've had my TVs for four months now so taking them back isn't an option. Sad.

Marked as solution

The app on my Samsung, purchased 2016, is "frozen" while loading profile. Never resolves. Respectfully speaking, setting one's TV to factory resets to solve the problem is NOT a solution to the problem. I am pretty sure lots of stuff on the TV also gets reset and no one wants to reset all that. No, the solution is for Samsung and Spotify to work together and create a worthy product. I would expect Spotify to care about this. As it is, I cannot listen to Spotify through my TV and sound system. So I listen to Pandora. SPOTIFY, are you listening.  And my Spotify profile and playlists are VERY basic. 

Thanks so much. I spent hours on this about a week ago and then decided to try again and it worked. Awesome! Thanks so much!

@herm13 @nv2vusqg187cmy1

Follow-up: Sadly, this method worked for a while but within a week I was back to having to repeat it. The app starts to open but then just hangs on those **bleep** moving dots and doesn't fully launch.

So now I'm back to using the convoluted method I used before: Open the Spotify app on my Mac laptop and connect to the TV via the "Devices" control (bottom right of the Spotify window). The music actually plays through my Yamaha receiver which the TV is connected to so it still sounds great. And, as I'm moving around the house, I can see and control what's playing via the Spotify app on my iPhone6, including access to MyMusic and everything else. Yes, most definitely convoluted, but it at least it works. 

Original message below.

======================

I was able to fix this freezing issue without resetting my Samsung Smart TV (UN50JU7100), a 2015 model with up-to-date firmware, currently 1501.2. Because Spotify is pre-installed on this TV you can't delete it, but you can reinstall the app.

To do this you must go into your TV's Apps screen - it cannot be done from the short list of apps that appears when you open Smart Hub.

* Go to Smart Hub

* Click on the Apps Icon (blue with white squares).

* You may have to click on "My Apps" to quickly get to the Spotify app

* Use the arrow buttons or the pointer on your remote to move to the Spotify app, then hold down the Enter button on your remote

"Options" will appear. Select "Options" and then click on "Reinstall.

The reinstall took less than 10 seconds. When it completed I clicked on the app and had to re-login. After login I was presented with a "New Terms and Conditions" screen on which I simply clicked "Accept." After this the app froze. Yikes! But, I restarted Smart Hub, opened Spotify again, and it all worked properly.

This method may not work for everyone but I hope it helps some of you.

Hi! Thanks for passing on that idea. For me it did not work. The reinstall appeared to work fine based on screen and prompt behavior. But again, when starting Spotify, I get the first screen that shows the LOGIN button. But when I try to select that button, the cursor changes to the circle with the X over it. I cannot select it. I have concluded that the Samsung Smart TV way to is not something I will count on in the future, especially as they mine everything I do on my TV.  Respectfully, Herman

It pays to slow down my impatience and read page two of the fixes.  This worked rather than resetting the entire tv. Thank you.

Reinstall worked. Go to APPS, hold OK button on Spotify icon (in "My APPS" list) and choose reinstall :)))

i dont have the reinstall option. and pressing enter just opens the app - ot doesn't matter if I hold it or not. any advice?

Ginger, follow these instructions exactly:

To do this you must go into your TV's Apps screen - it cannot be done from the short list of apps that appears when you open Smart Hub.

* Go to Smart Hub

* Click on the Apps Icon (blue with white squares). This brings up all apps available on the TV.

* Click on "My Apps" and find the Spotify app

* Use the arrow buttons or the pointer on your remote to move to the Spotify app, then hold down the Enter button on your remote

"Options" will appear. Select "Options" and then click on "Reinstall.

Suggested posts