Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Select audio output device?

Solved!

Select audio output device?

Dear Spotify Developers -

Firstly, thank you for such an awesome product!

I've got several audio outputs from my PC - my speakers, my headphone DAC+amp (optical out), and my TV (nVidia HDMI audio output). Please can you add an option to select which audio device Spotify will output to? Otherwise I have to keep changing the default playback device for the system. Skype has this feature, it's very useful.

Thank you!

89 Replies

Didn't they just implement it on W10 version? Or you use different OS?

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Allow-user-to-select-default-sound-device/idi-p/5351

Yes they did in but worth noting:

-It's in the Win10 Desktop app, not the Windows Store version.

-this feature is for testing, not available automatically

-as per instructions in the link you gave you have to mess around creating a new shortcut with a command line switch.

That said it seems to work fine, allowing on the fly changing of output soundcard. When you are in settings enable "Show Advanced Settings"  and under Playback theres a dropdown box of available output devices.  Select and the change is immediate.

Finally!!!!!!! 🙂

Was coming here to post exactly this.

It’s a shame, that this option is not available with the Windows Store version. Now I have to download the other version just for this case. How hard can this be? They could just put an experimental flag on this selection and put it in the Windows Store version 😕

This feature now works with the Windows Store app (UWP) version, though the Spotify.exe file is in a different location:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0

Just a heads-up: the Windows 10 April Update seems to cause Spotify to crash on startup with this flag.

Edit: Was an already reported bug; Spotify crashes if it tries to use a device that no longer exists in/on the system. To fix, go to the following:

%APPDATA%\Spotify\Users

enter the folder for your user, open "prefs" in notepad, then delete the line starting with "audio.output-device" and save the file (may be worth making a backup before you do this). With this line removed, Spotify goes back to Default for the audio device.

6 years later, and we still dont have this. I am on a mac and I need to switch audo out between Discord and Spotify. I am seriously considering changing to free mod, as I pay for this service,. I would excpet a little more thought behind the user experience. and the Product Manager needs a new job because he is**bleep**.

Only solution for a PC, not a mac Solution

Since the latest update, this randomly cuts out, causing some strange memory leak for me.

As an alternative, In the latest W10 update you can now manually assign any device to any program. While spotify is open and playing, if you right click the speaker in the system tray and click "Open Sound Settings", scroll to the bottom. Click "App volume and device preferences", find Spotify, you set it, sorted.

Yes, the solution came from Windows itself. It's much better, as it works for any program. Now it's as good as Linux for sound management (route any source to any output). 

Suggested posts