Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Skipping 5 songs in playlist and only playing 10 seconds?

Skipping 5 songs in playlist and only playing 10 seconds?

When i select any song to play the web client will skip forward exactly 5 songs in the playlist, and then only play 10 seconds of music from the song.
This behavior is on the Firefox web browser.

Top Answer
Vasil

Hey folks!

We've merged your posts into this single thread as they seem to be related to the same issue!

The right folks are onto it and we'll make sure to keep you posted as soon as we have anything new to share 🙂

In the meantime, if you haven't already, please let us know the following details:

• You device, it's OS version and your current Spotify version
  • If the issue is occurring on the Web Player, please include your browser type as well (after making sure it's up-to-date)
  • The troubleshooting you've tried so far

Many thanks!

91 Replies

Whether its on Firefox, Edge or Vivaldi, the player keeps skipping songs after one or two seconds.
Using librespot or spotifyd it doesn't happen.

Hi @menguele

I would recommend clearing your browser's cache and cookies. I will provide instructions for Chrome, Edge is almost exactly the same, and most browsers have a very similar process. You may also Google the steps for your specific browser.

1. Make sure you're on the newest version of Chrome. Click on the hamburger menu and go to Help > About Chrome, or click on this link.

Chrome will auto-update if there is one available.

kaworu_bloodpaw_0-1675346111756.png

2. Clear your browser's cache and cookies. On the sidebar, on the same update page, click on Privacy and security, and Clear browsing data, or click this link.

Click on the advanced tab, and select Cookies, Cache, and Hosted app data with the time range set to all time.

kaworu_bloodpaw_1-1675346111647.png

3. Restart Chrome by clicking on the hamburger menu and clicking Exit.

kaworu_bloodpaw_2-1675346111759.png

Now, see if the problem continues.

Hey folks,

Thank you for your patience. 

The relevant team is still investigating the issue, but they need to gather as much info as possible to fix it. Taking this into account, would you mind including in your next response the Google Chrome version you're currently running? 

In case you're using a different web browser, could you check on the Google Chrome browser (in an incognito window) to see if it makes any difference?

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The issue persists. Tried on Vivaldi and Firefox. I've also downloaded Chromium to see if it works but it didn't.

The issue persisted.

I am having this issue on Microsoft Edge on Windows 11. This has persisted across all versions since a year ago up to 110 now. The only true fix I found was to disable Widevine from edge://flags. This issue occurs even with a fresh Windows installation and Edge.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies and for the info shared.

As mentioned by @OscarDC above, we'll need the version of the browser you're using so the tech team can continue isolating this behavior.

@menguele, since you mentioned this is happening across several browsers, would you mind sending us the exact versions you're running of all of them? It'd be really helpful if you sent us a video recording of how the app works on all those browsers. You can attach it in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and make it public, so we can visualize it.

@VincentThacker, please make sure to send us the exact Microsoft Edge version you're running. You can check how to find it by following these steps

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

What part of "all versions in the past year" do you not understand? Literally any version after 100 up till the latest version now. Opening the developer tools I can see multiple error 400's and 502's, which is the same issue as described here. My Edge has auto-updated many times and the issue has persisted. The exact version is irrelevant. Don't tell me to clear cookies and reset my browser because that simply does not work. My browser already has the latest Widevine CDM 4.10.2557.0.

Here is the console error log if you are still interested. It is an error on the Spotify side. I am willing to provide more logs if needed.

In addition, I have already tried disabling all extensions and tracking prevention, which does not solve the issue either. If I disable Widevine CDM from flags, Edge is forced to use the PlayReady CDM module which works rather unstably.

I 'm running Spotify on my Macbook Air. I have a playlist and when I playback, it plays about 10 seconds of a song then skips to the next song.

I noticed this issue a few weeks ago and thought it was just a me problem! 

I'm Windows and Google Chrome. I signed out of all devices and updated my Chrome browser and did a full windows update and it's still happening!

Hi there folks,

Thanks for the reports. 

@VincentThacker, could you try opening another browser like Chrome or Firefox and let us know if the same issue is present there.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I keep playing a track but it randomly gets skipped after 10 seconds and starts playing some other song or next podcast in the series. Also when i pause a song they randomly start playing again without unpausing

Hey there, 

If you haven't already, make sure to send over the current version of your browser and let us know if there's any difference when you use a different one. Our teams require this exact info in order to continue investigating the issue.

We'll be on the lookout.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I've been having this problem since early December, on Vivaldi. I finally went through and looked at the console and found that Widevine is putting out a 401 "No Token Found" error as it skips songs. I searched for this error and found a lot of people in the past with this error, and the main symptom between all of them was the player skipping 5 songs, then playing 10 seconds of the 6th. Widevine is up to date and enabled on my browser, and I did try disabling and reenabling it, which did not help.

Hey @Sabrina24

Thanks for getting in touch about this and welcome to the Community! 

Thanks for the info you've sent so far. 

Could you also let us know the info @Alex and @Novy asked for above? 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,

I have the same problem on Firefox 91.3.0esr (32 bits). Tried clearing the cache, restarting the browser and device, changing internet connexion (work/home). Nothing fixes the issue.

This doesn't seem to be a problem on my iphone however, on my chomebook, every three songs or so, the audio will just cut out. It looks like it is still playing (it doesn't look as if it is paused) but the audio just cuts out and if I pause the song, when it has cut out, I cannot play the song again, the play button just doesn't do anything.
I have tried clearing the cache, I have checked my internet, I have logged out of all of my devices, changed the password. Nothing seems to be fixing the problem.

Sometimes when I am listening to a playlist, Spotify will start looping over some subset of tracks from the playlist. Like the same 5-10 songs over and over again. The only way to break out of the loop is to manually select the "next" song from the playlist, and then it will play the rest of the playlist starting from that track.

It has happened on both Windows and Android, and I think it happens most often if I pause while listening for a while and then go back and start playing again.

Have the same issue as described on Google Chrome. Just upgraded to premium and now it skips 5 songs in playlist and only plays the song for 10 seconds. Amazing upgrade experience!!! 

Suggested posts