Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect issue between devices on same WiFi without internet access?

Spotify Connect issue between devices on same WiFi without internet access?

Premium account (3-month trial)

Running Spotify app on MacBook Air connected to my home WiFi.

Playlists are synced to MacBook Air for offline access. 

Running Spotify app on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 connected to my home WiFi.

Able to use Spotify app running on Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to control Spotify app running on MacBook Air.

Lost internet access, not WiFi.

Able to use Spotify app running on MacBook Air to play music synced to MacBook Air for offline access.

Spotify app running on MacBook Air is no longer listed in "Show available devices" in Spotify app running on Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

Shouldn't it be enough for the devices to be on the same WiFi, with or without internet access?

2 Replies

Hey there @spvoyek, welcome to the community!

Spotify Connect requires each device to be connected to the Internet so they can stream from their servers. When using Spotify Connect, they don't stream off each other, they are only remotes for each other. In fact, you don't even have to be on the same WiFi network for your devices to be connected. 🙂

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

Merik,

Thanks for the reply.  I understand what you're saying.  You wrote "When using Spotify Connect, they don't stream off each other, they are only remotes for each other."  That is exactly how I want to use them.  My MacBook Air has my music synced to be available offline.  I use my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 as a remote for my MacBook Air.  This works, but seems to require internet access, which I was not expecting.

I have a wedding tomorrow and was setting up my music using Spotify.  I plan to have my MacBook Air connected to the stereo system and use my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to remote control it over their WiFi.  They're supposed to have internet access, but I was under the impression that this would work without it.

For example, when I go to "Devices" on my MacBook Air it says "Connect your device to the same WiFi as your computer.  Then open Spotify's iPhone app or Android app to sync your music."

Well, I don't want to sync my music in this case (I want to remote control it), but I can't do either because they don't see each other.  But it seems that they should?

Suggested posts