Plan

Premium

Country

Denmark

Device

Pioneer VSX-930

Operating System

My Question or Issue

I have been using spotify connect for many years on this receiver, but a couple of weeks ago it just stopped working.

I can still select my receiver from spotify connect on my phone/pc, and the song info displays on my receiver, however, playback never starts regardless of how many times I press play, change songs, etc.

What happened?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Spotify has deprecated this feature, you are now required to use Bluetooth or android auto to connect. 
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Connection-issues-with-car-stereo-receivers/idc-p/53...

I have moved over to tidal because of this issue. 

Spotify has been focusing on selling there new "car thing" product. To make things worse this is not available outside the USA.
I would suggest using the Motorola MA1 if your HU supports android auto

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Marked as solution

Spotify has deprecated this feature, you are now required to use Bluetooth or android auto to connect. 
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Connection-issues-with-car-stereo-receivers/idc-p/53...

I have moved over to tidal because of this issue. 

Spotify has been focusing on selling there new "car thing" product. To make things worse this is not available outside the USA.
I would suggest using the Motorola MA1 if your HU supports android auto

Hello, this is not a car stereo, but a good old AV receiver, but I suppose the same answer applies. Thank you 🙂

Hey @rasser900,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Sorry to hear that this is happening.

You can try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Check if there are any available firmware updates for the receiver on the manufacturer's website
  • Try Logging out everywhere and back in only on one device (phone/ PC) and the receiver
  • Try connecting to another network, like a mobile hotspot. This will help us check if the issue is network related at all

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello.
No firmware updates are available, unfortunately.
I tried signing out everywhere but that did not change anything.. except having to log in everywhere again.
It is pretty difficult to connect to another network as my receiver is connected with an internet cable to my router. I did however try to use my old router instead, which did not change anything either. (also, playing internet radio on my receiver works just fine, so a network related issue seems unlikely)

Hi there @rasser900,

Thank you for your reply and for all of the troubleshooting you've done so far 🙂

Can you let us know which version of the app you're having on both of the devices? 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers 🙂 

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey,

I tried finding the version on my receiver, but with no luck.

I am only able to see what's playing now on my receiver, it's baked in somehow with no menus, settings, etc.

The version on my Android phone is 8.7.18.1138.

Hey @rasser900!

@Thatguy801 is actually right here. We've recently retired the Spotify feature for all Pioneer and JVC-Kenwood devices, but as mentioned previously, you can still use Bluetooth as an alternative.

Hope this clears things up. The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Take care.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Spotify, the bluetooth option is substandard to spotify connect that you deprecated.  You have alienated android customers,  who are now swapping to other music streaming services and no longer wish to pay you any money when you remove a safer and more functional spotify connect. 

Car thing has just been canned by spotify. 😂🤣🙏 Hopefully they reintroduce spotify connect that worked so well for so many of us

This sucks

Hi all, just a heads-up for Pioneer AV receiver owners , I can confirm Spotify works again . How did that happen I have no ideea , the receiver just showed in the app and got notified that it's available so I tried it and it works . Been using it for the last 2h with not issues whatsoever also tried with different devices and all work fine.

No update has been done to the receiver (VSX-930) , hope it stays like that .

Hey! i'm using VSX-528 and can't seem to connect via spotify connect. Is your issue realy fixed with VSX-930? I was wondering if my amp has been depreciated, i hope not and it's just a bug on my side!

The carplay functionality has been removed from the latest versions of the app. Spotify support confirmed it was removed with no plans to add it back or keep it updated. 
You will need a usb dongle like the motorola ma1 to keep using spotify with android auto or a different device for the apple car play. 
This is the reason I switched over to Tidal instead of spotify. 

Hey thanks for your fast reply, but as the OP my problem is not with carplay but with Spotify Connect from my devices to a pioneer amplifier.

Suggested posts