Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect troubles with Yamaha MusicCast

Spotify Connect troubles with Yamaha MusicCast

Up until a few days ago, I had absolutely no problems connecting to my two Yamaha MusicCast speakers (WX-010 and WX-030) with Spotify Connect on my Android phone. All of a sudden, I very frequently have it get stuck on "Connecting..." when I try to connect. I have the same problem with the desktop version of Spotify.

This is specific to Spotify Connect as I have no problems playing Pandora on the speakers. I didn't change any of my network settings or do any kind of upgrades.

I've tried the following:

1) Restarted my router (once by restarting it, and once by completely uplugging it and plugging it back in).

2) Powered off and powered back on the speakers.

3) Completely reset the speakers and reconnected them with the MusicCast app.

4) Signed out of all Spotify devices and signed back in.

5) Removed and reinstalled the Spotify app from my phone.

None of these have helped. Is there a known Spotify Connect issue with Yamaha devices going on now?

112 Replies

Running 8.4.52.812 here on android

Me too R-N402D and WX-030

Actaully same for me but running Iphone and the 2 Yamaha devices. Spotify just pauses. 

It is most definitely a Spotify issues which they have to resolve. I have
contacted their web care but so far no response. I suggest everyone does
they same. Hopefully the potential paying customer loss will persuade them
to address the issues.

Same issue for me in the last week using a wired WXA-50 & WiFi ISX-80.

Randomly stop playing half way through a song (returns to 0s) in the app. Will start up again sometimes, other times I need to restart all the MusicCast gear.

Not good...

Same problem. Yamaha RX-V681. Really love Spotify but this is unacceptable

Same problem for me as well :

• RX V681
  • Android 5.4.52.812 and/or Desktop Win10 app (24/10/2017)

When I start a playlist on desktop app or phone app to yamaha amplifier, song stops playing at an average time of 20min.

Then when the song stopped it's impossible to restart playlist through the desktop or the android app. The only way is to reboot yamaha amplifier.

I made several tests with no successul outcomes :

• I disabled power management on my samsung s9 phone for spotify + musicast app
  • I restarted my switch and isp box
  • I tried either desktop or android app and kill the other app to test only one activated
  • I tried to launch musicast app on my phone to restart the streaming

To be sure it's not network related I played about 30min non stop on my bluetooth heaphone from my phone.

There is something about the Spotify Connect protocol in the recent updates of the app or api that disable the receiver at a fixed time.

Today's updates (Apple AppStore) for AV Controller and MusicCast app seem to rectify the issue. I'm now halfway through Thievery Corporation's latest album and so far without a hitch. After the app updates I had to disconnect the RX-V781from the mains though before the apps found it.
Let's just hope I am not celebrating too early.

Most of the people here had the issue of the playback stopping and could not push play again but with connection being ok. The Musiccast app just remote controls the Yamaha devices, it does not affect the signal between the source and Yamaha. Seems that you had different kind of connectivity issue. 

@SirRahikkala wrote:

Most of the people here had the issue of the playback stopping and could not push play again but with connection being ok. The Musiccast app just remote controls the Yamaha devices, it does not affect the signal between the source and Yamaha. Seems that you had different kind of connectivity issue. 

No the issue with my gear was the same:

"...Randomly stop playing half way through a song (returns to 0s) in the app. Will start up again sometimes, other times I need to restart all the MusicCast gear."

However, now it works tip top. I just had to reboot the receiver after the app updates for some reason to get it connect. How is it with you, does the problem still persist after the updates?

What app got updated? Musiccast?

After the update of both the Spotify App and Musicast App the music doesn't stop anymore. (You might have to restart your devices).

I now suffer from a new issue: Whenever I skip a song there is a visible lag. It takes 2-3 seconds before the new song shows up. This might be more annoying than the music cutting out every 10 minutes. Is anyone else having this problem?

@badreligion91 wrote:

Both MusicCast and Yamaha AV Controller (for home theatre receivers, BluRay players, etc)

At the beginning musicast app only allowed me to connect to my yamaha to initiate the spotify connect protocol else the android app didn't find my receiver.

My android apps are up to date and I'm launching right now a playlist after a phone reboot. Will tell you how long it stays alive !

Started at 4pm stopped at 4:23pm so it's not that ... and windows app was not loaded

I conducted an other test:

• I launch an old playlist "Rock Anthems" on the phone to yamaha instead of a fresh or recently updated one
  • Opened the window app with the result of song stopping after 3min ! (but ok I received a notification on phone so who knows ... )
  • Hitted play then I switch to other songs
  • Then I heared nothing but play button "on" on the window app
  • I looked at yamaha front panel and I could read "Access Error" instead of Spotify

Since I've a gigabit fiber connection I think the problem is on Spotify side which can take days ...

Ok just to be sure I searched the error message on found some posts :

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Getting-Access-Error-when-playing-Spo...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Yamaha-RX775-quot-access-error-quot-w...

I checked and my dns are set to 0/32 so I'll try this solution even if it worked like a charm before ...

Dns 1 was my isp box and dns 2 google, I switch to manual ip and google dns and will test again this solution

After the update of both Spotify and the MusicCast app all problems have
gone away.

Thanks to whoever fixed this bug.

@badreligion91  schrieb:

Yes. And Spotify too. For me, the streaming is running well, without starting the new MusicCast apps. I'll try later.

In fact, the Spotify service started to work perfectly this tuesday evening without any upgrades of software at all. Dispate that I have also upgraded the Spotify app, the MusicCast app and AV controller and it still plays without any interups.

I guess someone did a uge mistake either at Spotify or Yamaha. My guess.... Spotify.... and yes, I am a rocket scientist 😅

Samsung speakers (with spotify connect) also working for a several hours now.

Didn't change anything.

Amazing it works now!!!

Suggested posts