Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Desktop App doesn't open without internet-access (Windows 10)

Spotify Desktop App doesn't open without internet-access (Windows 10)

Plan

Family Plan

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Today my internet didnt work for about 2h. Since I could not access the web-player (which I normally use), I decided to open the Desktop app. I have about 1000 songs downloaded there, so the fact that I'm offline shoudn't be a big issue.

However I coundn't do anything. The program opened, but it just showed a black screen with the three option-dots in the the top-left-corner. I tried setting it to offline-mode, but that didn't help either. Multiple restarts also didn't do anything.

As soon as the internet came back, I just had to restart it again and everything worked as it should.

Whats the point of having a song-download function if you can't open the app when offline?

Top Answer
Goodman
Spotify Legend

Hi everyone. Thanks for reporting this and helping us troubleshoot further.

Our developers haven't been able to reproduce this on newer versions, but they'd still like to look into this further.

When troubleshooting it often helps to have a look at the log file and see what's going on under the hood.

To allow us to dig a little deeper, it would help if you share a log file with us. (This is for Windows, specifically.)

• Important: if Spotify is running, make sure you completely close it (considering the nature of this issue it shouldn't be running, but we like to be thorough)
  • Open the Command Prompt by pressing the windows key and typing command. This should bring up Command Prompt (app); open that.
    Alternatively, you can press the Windows key and r simultaneously, then type cmd and hit the Return/Enter key.
  • Now copy/paste what's below and hit the Return/Enter key. It should open the Spotify app and generate a log file on your desktop.
  • Lastly, just post the log file as an attachment to your post. If it exceeds the allowed limit, you can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link to it.
    if exist "%APPDATA%\Spotify" (
        cd "%APPDATA%\Spotify"
        start Spotify.exe --log-file="%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Spotify.log"
    ) else (
     start Spotify.exe --log-file="%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Spotify.log"   
    )​

46 Replies

I have the same problem.

When the offline mode would be fixed or removed as non-working?

Is it so hard to not to check for the internet when OFFLINE MODE IS TURNED ON?

Please fix.

@OscarDC

Not fixed. This problem is still happening. Have tried multiple clean installs on multiple PCs. Even searched all temp files and registry for any left over Spotify files and removed them before a new install.

I pay for this service to work offline. Spotify is either knowingly falsely advertising something that doesn’t work, or is not upholding their side of an agreement by failing to fix a faulty service. How do I apply for a refund of fees paid for a broken service Spotify? This is getting beyond a joke. 

Oh, Carlos, pls, restart your laptop, then turn on flight mode and then try to launch the Spotify desktop app. The same issue here - I cannot launch it without Internet connection. Inet connection is necessary only the aplication's start, after it's done, you can disconnect and the desktop app keeps working (with downloaded files, ofcourse). Best, Robert

I have just received notification that Spotify is now putting its prices up. Spotify, are you going to refund a portion of our payment for the service you advertise that is not working? This still is not fixed and we have all spend hours of out time trying everything under the sun to get it working. Im on the edge of going back to pirating music beceause you have made this so **bleep** painful to actually pay for it. FIX THIS PROBLEM or stop charging me for it! grrrrrrr

I have been a Spotify premium user for 6+ years and cannot open and run the Spotify desktop (laptop) app without internet... even though I have downloaded tons of songs for 'offline' use.

I am paying, and not getting the service I'm paying for.  

And I see that moderators treat everyone here with disdain because they are actually not ACKNOWLEDGING the issue directly, with understanding of the frustration, without escalating it to a manager or something.  That means that there is something toxic in the customer service approach.  No other way. 

Ackowledge the reccuring issue MANY people are having, understand, and make sure to get a professional on it.

Hey folks,

Apologies for the lack of updates on our end.

We've tested this again but couldn't reproduce the issue. For anyone still experiencing this, can you please provide the following info, so we can investigate further:

• Your OS version and Spotify version.
  • The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far.

Looking forward to your replies.

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is ridiculous.  I've experienced this issue for years with no fix. It's reproducible and you know it.

My assumption is that this "error" is by design. The Spotify teams want the application to "call home" so they can collect usage data or verify you don't have 2 users listening at the same time.

Anybody still following this thread should give up. Spotify clearly doesn't plan on fixing this.

Suggested posts