Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify Free Question-

Solved!

Spotify Free Question-

With the latest few Spotify updates- I noticed yesterday while playing my music after a period of time, not using my computer, which to mention, when I listen to my Spotify, its used more of a stereo than a computer.  Spotify stopped working with a message in reference to, somethings like this. "Do to your computer not being used in a period if time we stopped Spotify.  Please restart."  WTH is that?  It also mentioned something, if you don't want this to occur/stop playing- try Spotify premium?  This is unbelievable and unfair.  Just a bad way to force people to buy Spotify premium.  No No No!!  I play my Spotify and walk away.  Now I have to turn back-on after a few hours or less.  What a pain.  Again, its all about the mighty buck.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey Rpfarr!

That's definitely a frustrating issue, and I may have some insight.

When I use Pandora One (paid subscription), it will stop after a certain amount of time with a message asking something along the lines of "Hey, are you still listening? We don't want to play to an empty room." If there's no user activity, they pause the stream as an assurance to the artists who are receiving royalties. This prevents someone from making a bunch of accounts, setting them to play, and leaving while the artists rack up royalties without an active listener.

• My assumption is that Spotify free has a similar safeguard. The application probably detects a lack of user activity for a specified amount of time and pauses the stream in order to ensure that someone is actively listening to the music, and that the advertisements are being received.

Mind you, this is only an educated guess; I am not 100% sure that this is the correct answer. This is based on my experience with different streaming platforms.

Regardless... it's definitely frustrating, and I've dealt with the same exact issue. Usually, I leave my music on in the background while I work too, but now I make sure that every once in a while I go and stop/restart my stream or provide some kind of user activity (skip a song on radio, thumbs up/down, etc.) to prevent the application from timing out.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

// Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey Rpfarr!

That's definitely a frustrating issue, and I may have some insight.

When I use Pandora One (paid subscription), it will stop after a certain amount of time with a message asking something along the lines of "Hey, are you still listening? We don't want to play to an empty room." If there's no user activity, they pause the stream as an assurance to the artists who are receiving royalties. This prevents someone from making a bunch of accounts, setting them to play, and leaving while the artists rack up royalties without an active listener.

• My assumption is that Spotify free has a similar safeguard. The application probably detects a lack of user activity for a specified amount of time and pauses the stream in order to ensure that someone is actively listening to the music, and that the advertisements are being received.

Mind you, this is only an educated guess; I am not 100% sure that this is the correct answer. This is based on my experience with different streaming platforms.

Regardless... it's definitely frustrating, and I've dealt with the same exact issue. Usually, I leave my music on in the background while I work too, but now I make sure that every once in a while I go and stop/restart my stream or provide some kind of user activity (skip a song on radio, thumbs up/down, etc.) to prevent the application from timing out.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

// Jon

Thank you Jon!!  This does make sense, and I am happy and satisfied w/your response.  Much gratefully appreciated. 

Cheers Back!!!  Woman Wink

Spoiler

Suggested posts