Country

Hungary

Device

Motorola C Plus

Operating System

Android Nougat (7.0)

My Question or Issue

When I try to open the Web Player page

(open.spotify.com) while requesting Desktop page , it redirects back to the Spotify Home Page (spotify.com/hu).

My question is why does it redirects me to the Spotify Home Page?

I've tried it with three different browsers and it's a persisting issue.

When opening it in normal mode, it wants to route me into the app which I don't have installed.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Jax76,

Thanks for keeping us posted. 

Currently, it's not possible to use the Web Player on any mobile devices, which is why you're getting redirected. We're sorry about the confusion here. The only way for you to access your music on your mobile device is to download the app. 

Hope this was helpful, and let us know if you have any other questions. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey  @Jax76

The web player works on Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Opera (desktop browsers).

I'm afraid it won't work in the mobile browser either way. Best way to use Spotify on mobile is installing the client.. It doesn't take too much space (unless you download songs for offline listening) and you can also edit at which quality you wish to listen (to reduce data consumption).

Hope that helps, have a nice day 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

While trying out Chrome and Firefox, Firefox seemed to load the Web Player correctly, then it bounced back to the Home Page (See the attached video).

Widevine DRM isn't a problem as my device has it : DRM details

Firefox seemingly would load the Web Player correctly both in normal and private tabs, but for some reason, it won't.

However, if I stop loading the Web Player's loading, it won't redirect, search / library function works as it should.

I can connect this session to the Desktop Web Player by firing up the mobile app, then switching back to the device-loaded page, and it shows up as the browser, but the streaming stops at 10 seconds (which is I assume is because the player tab's loading was stopped).

Otherwise it would work as it should, I just don't know why it gets redirected as soon as the Web Player page loads up.

Hey @Jax76.

Thanks for the detailed update 🙂

Is there a reason why you are not using the Spotify app on your Android phone? This is the version which is best adapted for use on a mobile device. 

However, if you prefer to use the Web Player on your phone, perhaps you could try removing the app for Android from your phone, since it might be interfering in some way with launching the Web Player.

In any case, let us know how it goes 🙂

P

Just tried it out an entirely different device (Android 5.1, no app installed), and it still redirects.

Chrome behaves the same as Firefox, would load up the Web Player fine, but it bounces back to the home page.

Attached video to show this issue.

Marked as solution

Hey @Jax76,

Thanks for keeping us posted. 

Currently, it's not possible to use the Web Player on any mobile devices, which is why you're getting redirected. We're sorry about the confusion here. The only way for you to access your music on your mobile device is to download the app. 

Hope this was helpful, and let us know if you have any other questions. 

Suggested posts