Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on Alexa constantly interrupting

Spotify on Alexa constantly interrupting

Hi everyone,

I have an Alexa Echo Dot connected to speakers and play songs from Spotify on it. However, when I have the Spotify app opened on my Mac or iPhone, they constantly hijack the sound from the Alexa and interrupt my music. Is there any way to fix this?

14 Replies

I'm experiencing the same identical issue for a month, I have a premium subscription, and now it's becoming impossible to listen to a song, it's very annoying.
With Deezer everything was working fine, so it's not Alexa, it's a spotify serious issue.

Hi everyone! I have the same issue with an Echo Show 8. But not on my Echo Dot 4. I tried now using Amazon Music and it works without any issues, so it's not a device issue, it seems to be a skill issue. 

Anyone knows what's the issue?

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out in the Community about this.

Can you check when you open the Spotify app on your phone or laptop, do you see the Connect menu saying that Spotify is playing on another device or not? Or is it just that once you open the app on another device the music is immediately interrupted on your Echo speaker?

It would be great if anyone can share a video recording of the issue. You can attach it to your reply (under 5MB) or add it as a link to Youtube or similar. This will help us get a broader view of what's going on exactly.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

I also have the same issue. 

I tried rebooting my Alexa (Echo Show 8 gen2).
I unliked and re liked my Spotify skill (account).

Never had any issues with Amazon music.  My firewall doesn't show any internet interruption or dropped packets.  I haven't been able to verify this for a fact, but my feeling is that songs that have issues always have issues.  If I skip to the next song, that usually works fine.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Hey @Chris_D2

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Great troubleshooting so far, we can add a few more steps to make sure we've covered all bases.

Could you let us know if this is happening across devices or only on a specific one? 

On another note, it's well worth running a clean reinstall of the app on your devices to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. 

If this doesn't do the trick and you noticed this only with some specific songs, would you mind sending the songs' URI so we can take a closer look from our end? 

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I already did a clean reinstall of the app and the routine. And it keeps
happening only on my Echo Show. I have an Echo Dot it works just fine,
never had an issue on that device.

There are no especific songs, it happens very randomly on any.

I had to sign up for Amazon music in order to listen to music without
interruptions.

Hi @stratojaguar,

Thanks for posting on the Community. 

Just to confirm, have you already unlinked and re-linked your Echo Dot and Spotify? Also, tell us what troubleshooting steps have you followed so far (in order to prevent suggesting repeated steps).

Changing tunes, let us know if this happens when logging in with another account (if you haven't).

Lastly, we recommend that you send us a short video to check it further. 

We'll stay tuned. 

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

This really needs to be fixed- I've unplugged and reset my echo (Echo Show 10- 3rd generation ) - I've done a factory reset- I've uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify- unlinked it- tried an alternate account- nothing has helped. Had no issues for over a year and now out of nowhere it constantly stops playing- This is NOT an internet connection issue.   And the Echo is up to date on software updates! Here is a link for a video showing exactly what happens. https://youtube.com/shorts/KQbCf5U7QQ0?feature=share

PLEASE HELP!

Hey @42qeisus,

Thanks for the video and the detailed description of the troubleshooting steps you've taken! Let's see how we can solve this...
For starters we'd like to know how you start the playback on the device - is it a voice command or through the app via Connect?
It'd be also helpful if you could share with us when exactly the playback stops - does it happen when you're listening to anything specific?
We'll be on the lookout for your response 🙂

VasilModerator

Hi the video shows exactly when the play back stops, which is immediately after pressing play. I have tried starting the play back both directly on the device and by voice, both methods fail. In the video you can see I am physically pressing the play button and it stops right away. The same thing happens whether I have the song downloaded or just streaming. And the same thing is also happening on my iPhone and on my windows desktop. All devices are up to date

Hey @42qeisus,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

Just to confirm, is this happening on the web player as well? It'd be awesome if you could check.

On another note, is this happening on another account? You can ask for the account of a relative or a friend to open it on the affected devices and check.

Lastly, we understand you reinstalled the app on the affected devices. Could you confirm if you followed the steps in this article for a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the Spotify app?

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

The clean reinstall did not help. And this is also stopping while using the web player. It is only happening on my account.

Hey @42qeisus,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Is it possible to log in on a different device connected to a different internet connection (by a different provider) so can find out whether this is account related? Also, please let us know if this happens with all songs or specific ones.

Looking forward to your reply.

Take care,

MihailYModerator

This is happening because the alexa is registered to the same user as the person playing it on their phone. There needs to be a solution where you can play on the alexas for the family while the individual user is out of the home. Since we can't switch back and forth on the alexas all the time. They all have their own account, but this is disrupting the use by having my account used on both alexa and my own device. and switching back and forth is unresonable since it has to be done in the alexa app.

Suggested posts