Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on roku freezes

Solved!

Spotify on roku freezes

Since adding video support for roku specifically when watching Joe Rogan, the app consistently freezes after a few minutes in at which point you eventually crash back to the home screen. Others have reported this on the roku support forums. Eventually a roku employee replied and said to report it to spotify support.

Thanks for reading 😁

Top Answer
Elena

Hey there @thechit and @Lucius3!

Spotify are aware of certain issues with video podcast playback on some "big screen" devices, but quite a few of them can be helped or improved with some troubleshooting.

This is why we recommend checking  if using a different network makes a difference. It's also a good idea to try and clear the cache on your Roku device, I found these steps which should guide you through that.

We're working on improving the app integration on Roku. We're not able to provide a direct timeline for a fix, but we recommend keeping Spotify up to date to get the latest fixes as soon as they come out. 

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

After updating the app, it has been streaming for the last half hour without issues. Fingers crossed.

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Still freezing all the time, you'd think for a STREAMING platform they would be competent at STREAMING. Nope. It's either an issue on their end or with Roku app. Way to attract premium customers with a poor quality service, spotify.

Hey folks! 

Welcome to the Spotify Community and sorry for the late response as we just came across this thread.

@Lucius3, could you tell us know if the issue still persists from your end?

@Psyk078, let us know if the issue started from the very first time video for podcast was available for Roku devices or after a recent update. 

Lastly, we recommend that you check if you have any firmware updates available.

We'll be waiting for your reply. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It has never worked correctly since the first time i installed the app. Tried un-install, reset, update. Never worked correctly.

It works fine on PC. I can even stream from PC app to ROKU but same result happens. It will freeze after 5-10 minutes. When i press to skip on the timeline video (ROKU) after a while, the overlay screen appears to be refreshing very slowly and then eventually i know it will completely stop working.

Hey @Psyk078,

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a chance you can try connecting all your devices to another network, like a WiFi mobile hotspot from your phone?

Since this has been happening for a long time, the issue might be network related.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I've had issues here too. All other video apps playback just fine. I have two Roku TVs and both have the issue. One Roku TV doesn't even load the app. It stalls at the green Spotify screen at startup. You have to watch the podcast for about 7.5 minutes for it to freeze in my experience. I tried to pause it and that also triggered it to crash and return me to the home screen. 

Exact same experience for me 7 or so minutes in. And as for what the moderator suggested above, its no ones internet connection. Its been reported time and again on the roku forums on different roku devices reporting the same problem. Audio only content works fine though. Year and a half of this now since vid support was added.

Hey there @thechit and @Lucius3!

Spotify are aware of certain issues with video podcast playback on some "big screen" devices, but quite a few of them can be helped or improved with some troubleshooting.

This is why we recommend checking  if using a different network makes a difference. It's also a good idea to try and clear the cache on your Roku device, I found these steps which should guide you through that.

We're working on improving the app integration on Roku. We're not able to provide a direct timeline for a fix, but we recommend keeping Spotify up to date to get the latest fixes as soon as they come out. 

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

We are not able to provide a timeline for a fix? What a joke if Spotify took this issue seriously it would have been resolved a long time ago. Perhaps if I start notifying my video podcast content creators of your incompetence and they start pulling content or going public you will feel the heat enough to fix the issue.   

I have this same problem. Don’t tell me WiFi or cache, I’ve switched around. It works perfectly on my phone with Spotify.

On roku it freezes. I have 30 years of IT experience, wireless, systems and a CCIE.

Not buying your responses. It’s a problem between Roku <-> Spotify,  not end user.

I forgot to mention I’ve also reset the Roku to factory defaults twice.

Well there you have it someone with a lifetime of IT exp saying this.

I don't think they really care given the controversial nature of JRE, idk if this is the podcast you're having problems with. But on the roku forums its definitely talked about more. Some IT guy there said they think its a memory issue, which is how Spotify behaves when it inevitably crashes. Goin on 2 years now of this.

It could be. I imagine Spotify quickly added some code for video and don’t understand how or why it works. Therefore, they have to rewrite it from scratch. I’m only guessing but I bet they did a hasty and shady job to support Joe rogans video podcast. While in my car radio is fine. At home, I prefer video and it does not work between Roku and Spotify. Spotify on android, iPhone and even amazon fire work fine, or mostly fine (the rw, fw and skip don’t always work well). Some things I can handle like that as long as I don’t pause or rewind because I missed something. Can live with it. Not a freeze every 7 minutes that hangs my roku tv and then after a while kick backs to the main menu. Rinse, watch, repeat. I even unplugged the tv and reset the adapter and had to reauth all my apps. The trouble I went to, I don’t accept bogus advice that doesn’t work. I want a hardware or software fix (maybe it is memory)

— MrSpitify (since it wouldn’t let me use Spotify in the name)

ive noticed others are saying that it only freezes with spotify videos on their roku, for me its when i try to play any song at all, it immediately crashes to the home page. ive re-installed the app, updated my tv and app, refreshed everything, nothing works. i just want to listen to spotify on my roku!

Currently 15 min into a JRE podcast on roku no issues so far anyone else able to watch now? Maybe they fixed it.

Marked as solution

After updating the app, it has been streaming for the last half hour without issues. Fingers crossed.

Lemme kno what happens I tried watching another JRE from the beginning about 17 min in it hangs like the little loading animation I could still pull up the controls so it didn't freeze/crash. It could've very well been my internet acting up I'll try it again next chance I get.

I quit the app because i had other things to do...figured i'll resume when i get back. The video attempts to load...but instead of resuming it just kicks me back to the home screen. Will try to start a new one and see what happens. Ridiculous, maybe they should call the guys over at youtube for some insight? /facepalm.

Hi, I have a Roku Tv and I am listening to Spotify and not even 2 mins in, and the Spotify app kicks me back to the Home Screen. I have restarted the Tv, disconnected and reconnected it, used the same network, removed Spotify, clear cached, and it still kicks me out. What can I do? 

Can’t believe this is still an issue. I resolved it by using my iPhone and Airplay. Then I can stream on my tv.

Suggested posts