Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify pauses when visitors entering the house

Spotify pauses when visitors entering the house

Hello,

I am running Spotify Free on our restricted home WiFi network.

I have two Harman Kardon Citation One speakers, connected to eachother by Google Home. 

I control Spotify on a Android Tablet, but because of the "Google Home" based setup the tablet can in fact be put out of the equation.

Plan

Free

Country

Netherlands

Device

multiple Harman Kardon Citation One (after here reffered to as "HK")

Operating System

n/a, running on Google Home (after here reffered to as "GH")

My Question or Issue

So here's the thing.

We run Spotify on the HK. It will work for weeks without end and/or any problem. Just start it (via GH, or manually by tablet). After the start it will keep on going for ever, even with the table turned off completely.

When we are getting visitors in our house, Spotify will pause. 

These visitors have no access to our restricted home WiFi network or whatsoever.

After asking the visitors to turn of their WiFi on their phones, Spotify will immediately start playing again for 75% of the time. With some guests we have to really tell Spotify to resume or just enter another playlist to the que to start playing again.

Moreover; phones running on Android and iOs, same issues. 

After the first few hickups we opened the Android tablet, so we could see what Spotify was up to. When stopping the music is really shown as paused. (we can see by the corresponding icon)

Last weekend we had like 20 guests to a party and this happened time after time until everybody's WiFi was turned off. After that all was happy and Spotify kept on playing for the rest of the evening.

I am trying to find out what is causing this behaviour and want to find a permanent solution or workaround. 

Any Ideas or thoughts are most welcome.

2 Replies

Hey @FamilieStevens ,

Thanks for coming to the Community.

It sounds like it's mostly related to your network setup.

I'd recommend that you'll try to use a more powerful router, as most routers don't support don't support many devices connected at once and might be automatically disconnecting the speakers, which would cause Spotify to pause the music.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello,

for now I discovered that our router (as per default by our provider) was running on both 2.5GHz as well as 5 GHz with the same network SSID. For now, I reverted to 2.5GHz only. It seems to run ok, but then again this was indeed the case on the dual-network mode also before we had visitors.

It is not a maximum user issue I'm pretty sure.

For starters non of these users actually have accdes to our WiFi.

The network is visible to them but they to not have the security code...

But it would not be science fiction if the number of wifi devices in the neighberhood of the router increases (the network interference increases) this will affect the change in reception between both frequencies (with the assumption that the netwok devices would switch to the most powerfull frequency band automatically...)

For now we shall not alter any more parameters and will just wait and see what happens during the following period.

I will post back if the issue dissapeared or has come back again... Meanwhile any additional thoughts are welcome.

Suggested posts