Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify streaming garbage audio artifacts through Chromecast Audio

Spotify streaming garbage audio artifacts through Chromecast Audio

Starting at ~13:05 PST today, Spotify's stream service to my Chromecast Audio devices started emitting a bizarre audible artifact when Spotify playback is paused, and between tracks when playing albums or playlists.  The artifact is a knocking sound of about 700Hz, cycling twice about 300ms apart and repeating the cycle every second.  It is f'ing maddening.

All other audio sources through my Chromecast devices a just fine - no such problem.  I've left scorched earth with all the isolation steps

After 2 hours of useless troubleshooting with Spotify '1st tier' support the problem still persists.  Listen for yourself - audio file attached.

6 Replies

I can confirm that I got exactly the same issue and the garbage artifact. I started noticing it today, but don't know exactly when the issue started.

I have two chromecast audio devices and issue happens on both of them. Also, does not matter if it's the spotify app or the desktop app. Regardless of where I cast from, the issue happens. Also, I can cast from any other app (youtube for example) and there's no artifact.

So, there's clearly an issue with spotify casting to chromecast that started recently.

Extremely annoying (especially when casting is primary mode of listening) because it takes the enjoyment out of listening as this artifact is always there when there is a gap between songs or when nothing is playing.

I can confirm. Having the exact same issue, in the same way you're describing, since yesterday evening. Interestingly, if I use the Google Home iPhone app to turn the Chromecast Audio device volume to less than 100%, the audio artifact seems to stop. Not really a long-term solution, though.

Had the same problem with Spotify/Chromecast cast from my Lenovo tablet. Was particularly annoying as I was playing an album where one track is supposed to transition to the next seamlessly.

Adjusting the volume on my tablet made the problem go away. Though even that was a bit weird as turning the volume down slightly made it go to 0% and I had to turn it all the way up again.

@mrgnwlkrThanks for identifying the workaround. In my case, we're casting Spotify through a speaker group of Chromecast Audio devices, and changing the group volume to 99% restores sanity. I can't see where the Spotify Android app nor any salient Google services on my phone have changed in the last 24 hours, so maybe Spotify changed something on their audio services end that broke things?

Yes it was most certainly broken yesterday by some change from Spotify on their server side.  Problem is now gone for my Chromecast devices - I didn't do any workarounds, it just 'mysteriously' went away overnight (PST timezone). 

I don't expect any acknowledgement of their mistake from Spotify - but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

It sounds like this was resolved for some of you. As we haven't come across any similar threads about this issue recently, could you let us know if you’re still having troubles with this?

If you do, and regular troubleshooting doesn't do the trick, it'd be helpful if you could let us know the following details so we can further look into this:

• The device you're casting from and its OS version
  • The exact Spotify version you're on
  • The Chromecast device(s) this is happening on along with the firmware versions
  • The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far
  • Any additional details on what's happening

Keep us posted! 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Suggested posts