Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Tinder top artists are inaccurate

Tinder top artists are inaccurate

I have been trying to display my top artists from Spotify on Tinder for a while now, but everytime it displays almost the same artists, where very few actually represent my music taste. Is there someway i can make it so it will display my top artists correctly? Why cant i just choose them in the first place? Pretty frustrating.

32 Replies

For me it's even funnier because although I disconnected Spotify from Tinder I can't get rid of this stupid fake "top artist" list. It sits like a dumb blob within my profile and won't move away**bleep** - I guess they just don't care. Millions of people are paying for this badly coded **bleep** anyway. So why bother if some of them will complain? And regarding the bla about removing and reinstalling the apps should solve any problems (which it doesn't): Think a minute about a simple way how to generate more downloads from the app stores... Clever, hum? 😉

It's just as it has always has been and will probably never be changed, it works fine on other apps for example, so it is most definitely a tinder "issue". I swear it only lists artists that are more popular globally, i suspect some money is invovled in why.
I made a playlist of 10 of my favorite bands and listened to that playlist exclusively for easily over a month(10-16 hours every day), only 1 of them got added to the list, which was infact a more popular artist with alot of monthly listeners. Did the same thing on bumble for a week, literally all 10 artists got added in a week (i didnt check earlier than a week). I have a band that i have listened to over 35k times in the last 2 years, but never showed up on the list. Listen to justin bieber or katy perry or any garbage like that for a few times and bam it's on the list. Same goes for more popular metal, like slipknot, rammstein, GnR, Maiden, Sabaton etc.
Its never gonna change.

I am also facing this issue the last few years as well. I have several times done the steps you listed above, and it still doesn’t resolve. The selection of songs and artists are ones that I don’t even listen to, let alone like. It’s very strange. I don’t know on who’s end error in the code is, but I think it’s some thing both Spotify and Tinder need to look into.  I know this is probably more of a Tinder issue and we need to be bugging Tinder to get the bugs out of the app. So if you’re reading this, let’s all move over to Tinder and get on them to fix it. I’ve been doing that the last few months but they’ve not done a damn thing. If a whole bunch of us start messaging them maybe they will start doing something about it.

Exactly the same issue here for the past few years. It actually makes dating harder when my favorite artists are children songs and artists I’ve absolutely never heard about or listened to. As mentioned above, they don’t disappear after disconnecting Spotify from Tinder. How is it possible that two of the biggest apps in the world can’t fix a seemingly simple issue?!

My ‘favourite’ bit is that one of the artists that it insists is in my top 10 is a group that I’ve never listened to by choice, only through Spotify randomly shuffling to their music in an attempt to annoy me into paying them. Music that I’ve been happily listening to for decades? Nope! Music that I’d never choose to listen myself? Yep!

mesmerizing how this is still an issue! have found 'closed' threads with alleged solutions dating back to 2016, even some comment the problem goes even back to 2012..! none of the 'solutions' clearing of caches, or re-installing work at all, the real problem is that for some ridiculous reason the most popular artists are shown over the ones that are really on each ones top. Even more ridiculous is to realize that this exact function works perfectly in other similar apps like bumble

My top spotify on Tinder will list songs I've literally never played from artists I've only listened to a couple times. It makes little to no sense. 

This explanation makes perfect sense this was driving me crazy. 2 of my top 5 artists (confirmed by Spotify Wrapped) don't show up at all. My Anthem is Escape by Kx5 who showed up in my top 20 after I made Escape my anthem song. They're at the very bottom since that's the only song I've listened to by them, they're not my top 50 and they're new with 2 million listeners. But yep they add your anthem artist to your top 20. 

It also explains why even for the artists that are accurate on my top 20, the songs Tinder shows are collabs with bigger artists regardless of whether the bigger artist is on my top 20, and the bigger artist's name is always first. I deselected all but 6 of my top 20 to show on my profile, since most of them were wildly inaccurate. 

I kept: Megan Thee Stallion, Alesso, Martin Garrix, Illenium, Gryffin, and Slander

Megan Thee Stallion's song is Maroon 5's Beautiful Mistakes which she only features on. So it looks like my #1 top artist is Maroon 5, they're ok I like them but not *that* much. Even more annoying is that I kinda dislike that song it's probably my least favorite "popular" song for both Maroon and Megan -- I almost always skip it. Megan isn't my #1 top artist either but she's top 5 and if it was at least her song I wouldn't mind as much but Maroon 5? Ugh...

Alsesso and Martin Garrix are big enough that their song is actually their own song, with their name listed first (or the only name). 

Illenium shows up as The Chainsmokers who I like but still not the right artist, and not top 20 for me. The song is Takeaway which I listen to and like, but of all of Illenium's songs it's relatively low on the list for me. So once again, wrong artist and wrong song. 

Gryffin shows up as Kygo which I don't mind as much since Kygo is actually on my top 20 (I just didn't select him display on my profile) and the song is one I really like. It's not a top song I listen to for Gryffin but I could be okay with it being used as his song if it just had his name first. But overall, the artist and song are inaccurate again, with a collab with the bigger artist as lead name being used instead of a song lead by the artist I actually selected to display. 

Last one is SLANDER for which the artist is correct (they're the only name on the song) and the song is a top song for me. Which didn't fit with your explanation at first since SLANDER has a collab with Gryffin (called All You Need To Know), and Gryffin has more listeners than SLANDER. But then I realized the song from SLANDER is "Love Is Gone (Acoustic Version)" which went viral on TikTok at one point so it has 307 million listens while the Slander/Gryffin collab "only" has 186 million. If it was actually based on my preference it would have been the original version of Love Is Gone (or a different song altogether) but I listen to the acoustic version a lot too so it's still an accurate representation. This is the only time prioritizing popularity didn't mess things up for the artist with fewer listeners. 

This system sucks and they clealry have no plans of changing it since they're ignoring years of complaints and giving bs "fixes" they know won't fix anything since this is a feature not a bug. 

Determining my top artists instead of letting me choose them is a terrible idea. Basically you are saying if I play a playlist for company or try to listen to new artists to see what is new they are somehow my "top artists" believe me I value Prince, Tom Petty and The Rolling Stones a 1000 times more than the latest tiktok meme hit. The mere act of listening to music on Tinder has actually influenced my spotify top artists which completely is the exact opposite of the entire point. You're literally creating a cycle where if I listen to songs people post on their profile to see if its something I might like and those tracks come up enough they will be added to my top artists and suggest to people I like those artists whether I do or not. Honestly this seems like a scam for Spotify to promote the artists they want to trend and promote.

SPOT ON !

Did you even bother reading what Ecdysiast commented? Because they said they had tried to steps and it didn't work. Spotify customer support is some of the worse support I have ever received, every single time I search something on Spotify support it is always unhelpful. Tinder does not show the correct top artists, regardless of disconnecting my Spotify connection and reconnecting it. 

Because the algorithm that's currently in place sucks donkey balls

It's actually amazing how incredibly shitty this algorithm is. It wold be such a cool feature for tinder, yet the implementation sucks immensely since several years. Who would even release such a broken feature in the first place? And then leave it just there in this broken state for years?!

Suggested posts