Step 1

NEXT STEP

Top 50 and Viral 50 Country Information

Top 50 and Viral 50 Country Information

Plan: Premium (Student)

Device: Laptop (Nitro 5)

Operating System: Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I joined Spotify Saturday and I have absolutely loved the Top 50 and Viral 50 charts for each country. As an anthropology major with a particular interest in cultural anthropology, this has been a great way to learn about other countries especially in relation to music preferences. However, there are some countries on Spotify that I know little to nothing about such as Malta, Cyprus, and Andorra. The last of which I listened to today on the Viral 50 section. Is there a way to see reliable information (e.g. not Wikipedia) on each country without having to research each one separately? I plan to start by looking at the CIA Factbook. Although this might not be the best site as they tend to give very detailed information and it is always best to look at multiple sources anyways. Even the most renowned and academic sources have some bias. On top of that, although the CIA factbook has been useful to me in the past for other things, due to the type of site the CIA factbook is, no information is given on the type of music that each country likes. This would also be helpful to learn since I will be using this information in connection with Spotify. I realize that I could listen to each country's viral 50 or top 50 independently to figure it out but this would take a long time as there are numerous countries I have an interest in. I plan to listen to a variety but I also want to make sure that the countries I would like a lot I'm sure to listen to. Is there any way to find out information about the music each listens to without having to first listen to each countries chart(s)? It doesn't necessarily have to be a feature on Spotify, a non-Spotify affiliated service, site, app, etc would also do.  Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 Reply

Hello!

It's just my opinion, but:

Spotify isn't for cultural studies, it's for music.

The charts are meant to give insight on music popular in the region (and it doesn't include popular songs outside of Spotify)... and that's it. Their duty isn't to describe each country charts are available in.

There are a lot of vlogs, science studies, factbooks outside of CIA factbook, etc. that might help.

But Spotify ain't it.

---

Also, if any dev sees it, please add Andorra viral charts to the new website before the old one dies.

Suggested posts