Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Update Spotify Roku App

Solved!

Update Spotify Roku App

I finally got a Roku TV, and I found a couple of things lacking:

1. There is no "My Music section.

2. Searching is difficult and not user friendly. It is difficult to find anything I want to listen to.

3. Spotify app on my phone suggests I can use Spotify connect with my TV, but it never shows up as an available device. 

4. Cannot find anything I saved including playlists even though I've found threads suggesting there are playlists somewhere. 

I was wondering if there is anything in the works to fix this. I'm really disappointed with my experience with the Roku App. I was looking forward to listening to spotify with my entertainment system easily.

Extra suggestion for spotify apps in general: screensaver option for when you want to just use a device for Spotify at the moment,  but do not want to turn the screen off. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I finally gave up on Roku, mainly because of not supporting Spotify but also because of constantly having whatever app I am using freeze and then getting dropped to the "Bouncing Roku" screen while it resets itself (every ten minutes of so).  I had tried to use YouTube for music but it was very unsatisfactory compared to Spotify.  I finally bit the bulet and bought myself an Amazon Fire Stick (the cheaper one) and WOW!!!!   Not only does Spotify work like a charm (after one sickening moment when I asked Alexa to play Spotify and was told that there was no Spotify on my Fire Stick - you have to install it first) but I have never seen it scroll thru my playlists this fast.  The graphics are great and other than having to re-learn some of the controls, I am very happy.  Everything works much faster on the Fire Stick than the Roku (to be fair, it is not the latest Roku model) and there seems to be even more apps available than with Roku, but the bottom line is I now have Spotify again, playlists and all.  On top of that, I can still use my Roku if I want as I left it plugged in to one of the HDMI ports.  For anyone that wants Spotify on their TV and doesn't want to wait on Roku / Spotify to work things out, get an Amazon Fire Stick.  If you have a 4K TV, get the more expensive model which works in 4K.  And not one freeze or drop out yet.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Sadly, Spotify does not care about the Roku App, which has gotten so much worse now with no access to playlists.  I am canceling my family premium account at the end of this month.

I checked my Spotify today, January 3rd, 2017, on my Roku. It said the channel was temporarily unavailable for a much-needed update. This may be the time that we get to be able to use Spotify connect with are roku's.

I checked my Spotify today, January 3rd, 2018, on my Roku. It said the channel was temporarily unavailable for a much-needed update. This may be the time that we get to be able to use Spotify connect with are roku's.

I wouldn't hold your breath. There wouldn't be any need for them to discontinue the app in order to update it. They'd simply wait until the update is ready, then replace the old version with the new. The fact that it has been removed completely indicates that there is no intention for any Spotify app to ever return to Roku. The message that we "expect" it to return is merely to reduce the number of complaints they get. If it was coming back, there'd be no "expect" in the sentence. 

Spotify on Roku has finished. It's gone exactly the same way as on Samsung TVs more than 2 years old. And as I now have no way to access Spotify other than on my PC, my premium subscription has also finished.

Marked as solution

I finally gave up on Roku, mainly because of not supporting Spotify but also because of constantly having whatever app I am using freeze and then getting dropped to the "Bouncing Roku" screen while it resets itself (every ten minutes of so).  I had tried to use YouTube for music but it was very unsatisfactory compared to Spotify.  I finally bit the bulet and bought myself an Amazon Fire Stick (the cheaper one) and WOW!!!!   Not only does Spotify work like a charm (after one sickening moment when I asked Alexa to play Spotify and was told that there was no Spotify on my Fire Stick - you have to install it first) but I have never seen it scroll thru my playlists this fast.  The graphics are great and other than having to re-learn some of the controls, I am very happy.  Everything works much faster on the Fire Stick than the Roku (to be fair, it is not the latest Roku model) and there seems to be even more apps available than with Roku, but the bottom line is I now have Spotify again, playlists and all.  On top of that, I can still use my Roku if I want as I left it plugged in to one of the HDMI ports.  For anyone that wants Spotify on their TV and doesn't want to wait on Roku / Spotify to work things out, get an Amazon Fire Stick.  If you have a 4K TV, get the more expensive model which works in 4K.  And not one freeze or drop out yet.

Seriously good to know.

Suggested posts